British English - no apostrophes in possessive business names?

I don’t think it’s limited to Britons. Many people I know in the U.S. refer to J.C. Pennys, Nordstroms, Fred Meyers, and so on. None of these properly end in “s”.

Obvious UK exception to the rule: Waterstone’s.

Actually, where I’m from, it was pretty common to (obviously erroneously) say Ames’s instead of Ames.

Before they went out of business.

There is a street in Whitby, Ontario called Annes Street. Everyone I know pronounces it as two syllables, “ann-ess”. One day in high school I was looking at an old map of the town, and to my surprise saw it written as “Anne’s Street”.

Then there was another street, a country road really, named D’hillier Street. It had two spoken names: “duh-hill-ee-ur” and “deel-ee-ay”. When I was a kid, I wasn’t even sure whether these were the same street. Later, I started taking French, and I suddenly realised that the two “names” were simply the English and French pronunciations of the name! Sadly the area was substantially developed and the streets were re-routed, and I’m not sure whether the street exists anymore under its old name.

Then there’s the case of the T. Eaton Company. Its department stores were known as “Eaton’s”… except in Quebec after the Quiet Revolution, where, amidst great controversy, they were changed to “Eaton”. This inspired the comic Angloman, among other things.

Of course, that no longer matters. The firm was run into the ground …and was bought …by Sears (no apostrophe).

Sears was founded as the R. W. Sears Watch Co. by Richard Sears of Minneapolis. So there’s no missing apostrophe there.

I’m surprised nobody has mentioned the apostrophe-free Starbucks (now building at least four more stores in your local high street). It ain’t just a British thing, folks.

At least McDonald’s retains its McPostrophe.

In the discussion (way back!) about the use of apostrophes in business names, somebody asked about the UK business called Halfords. This is a British chain of shops which sells bicycles, camping gear, motor car accessories etc. The question was, where did the name come from?

The name doesn’t come from the name of the first owner. It comes from the name of the street in Leicester (England) where the company was sited, ie HALFORD STREET. For some reason which I don’t understand, this street is pronounced “HAL-FORD”, so the company should by rights be called "HAL-FORD"s. But in the UK it isn’t. Most people get it wrong and pronounce it “HAR-FORDS” to rhyme with the way the British pronounce “half” whereas US speakers would get it right. The wrong pronunciation of this well-known chain store is now so ingrained into the way the British say the name that if in Britain you were to pronounce the name correctly, most people wouldn’t recognize it.

Zombie bicycles apparently. My inner pedant just won’t let this go, I’m afraid, 8-year old thread or no.

This assertion just isn’t true, I’m sorry. I don’t know of anyone in the UK (although in the interests of science I’m prepared to accept there may be some) who pronounces it HAR-FORDS. It’s pronounced HAL-FORDS, just as you claim it ought to be. In fact I can honestly say that until just now it had never occurred to me that the name contains the word ‘half’. I’m not sure where your idea came from, but it’s not true at all.

Utter twaddle.

And in the seven years or so since **bonzer **made that comment, the apostrophe has disappeared from Waterstone’s logo (although not, it seems, from the company’s name).

I’ve never heard anyone call it anything but “Hal-fords” either.

I’m reminded, though, of the clothing chain Mackays, which I’ve heard many people pronounce to rhyme with “days”, but which was “officially” pronounced to rhyme with “skies”.

I don’t know whether this has anything to do with why they changed their name to “M&Co”.

I’d read these as declarative statements. Druids walk, and kings don’t stay open.

Zombie department store spotted.

ETA Another vote for “Harfords” being twaddle.

I had heard that it was a question of not looking too “English” when they started opening outlets in Québec. According to the Wikipedia entry, the change was made in 1993 to conform to Québec laws concerning languages on signs.

Still nobody seems to be able to get Jack Daniel’s right.

Actually there are two common pronunciations of “Halfords” in the UK - in fact I never know which one to use so tend to use either, at random. Neither of them is “Half-ords”, though; they are “Hal-fuhds” and “Hall-fuhds”. (That “uh” is meant to indicate a schwa, BTW.)

Now that I come to think of it, I’m pretty sure the TV adverts say “Hal-fuhds”, but I hear it more commonly (here in the south of England) as “Hall-fuhds”.

Related post from the always fascinating Language Log blog by John Wells:

(Taken from John Wells's phonetic blog , about three-quarters of the way down the page)

The two choices given in the bolded section are more like “holl-fuhds” and “hal-fuhds”; Wells says he prefers “hall-fuhds”, which is also what I tend to use.

Missed the edit window - my mistake, Wells’s blog is not called Language Log; I’ve confused it with another blog I read.

Americans do the same thing to at least one store: Cato is very often said as Cato’s.

Similarly, I’m used to hearing Walmarks for Walmart. And I’m in the founding state.

For awhile JC Penny was advertising itself as Pennys and some stores even had Pennys signs