British Equivalent of Miranda Rights

I watched a movie today that had a scene in which the London police arrest someone. Amid all the commotion, I could swear I heard the cop saying something about “rights” and “silence.”

Is this standard operating procedure among police in the UK: to read a suspect a list of rights, including the right to remain silent?

UK Rights a la Miranda

Similar rights elsewhere

The actual Miranda Warning:

May I ask, was the movie The Da Vinci Code? Just asking, because there is a scene in there identical to the one you describe…

Just to nitpick - these are NOT UK rights, they are England and Wales rights.

Scotland has its own separate and distinct legal system, although there are a few crossover laws. Likewise Northern Ireland has its own system, although it is more akin to the English system.

In Scotland the police caution that you don’t have to say anything, but anything you say may be used in evidence. There is no caveat about a failure to say something harming your defence later on.

Why yes, by golly, it was.

I just didn’t mention it by name since I didn’t want to give any unnecessary publicity to that silly movie.

What happens if you stubbornly answer “No” to all those “Do you understand?” questions?