British General decrees...it's "barbaric" to eat sandwiches with your hands.

Brit Junior Officers take the mickey out of their commanding general, and it’s hilarious. (that’s how you use that expression, right? I think that’s how you use it. What the hell do I know, I eat sandwiches with my hands.)

The text of the Junior Officers response here. I highly recommend it…it made me alternately laugh out loud and nod and smile grimly.

I got the impression that he was being funny in that memo and it was not intended seriously.

That’s the line he’s currently using, anyway. Perhaps he needs to work on his delivery, the response from the Junior Officers seems to indicate they didn’t find it entirely funny.

We should eat sandwiches with a knife and fork now?

Did Miss Manners say that?

It read to me like an attempt to be funny in an understated British sort of way.

Consider that sandwiches were invented as a way to eat with your hands and not get too messy, that’s pretty amusing.

Can I sue the british army as they dont allow eating with hands???

:D:cool::D:rolleyes::cool::D:smack::D:eek::slight_smile:

Yes. Yes you can.

Plus by a Brit and named after the Earl of Sandwich:

“It was named after John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich, an 18th-century English aristocrat. It is said that he ordered his valet to bring him meat tucked between two pieces of bread, and others began to order ‘the same as Sandwich!’ It is commonly said that Lord Sandwich was fond of this form of food because it allowed him to continue playing cards, particularly cribbage, while eating, without using a fork, and without getting his cards greasy from eating meat with his bare hands.”