british or scottish police procedural series

I read a few of them some time ago. All I can remember is that there was a supervisor type who ate candy constantly. Anyone know which series this is? Thanking you.

You know British and Scottish is the same thing, right?

I think we also need more to go on - are you talking about books? When were they written?

Now I do.

Not all Brits are Scots.

Well, not really, especially when dealing with all things legal.

Scottish people are by definition British, but British people are not by definition Scottish.

Scotland has a completely different legal system to England, and a different police structure.

The candy references were very specific, and very, well, British?, like sherbets and wine gums and flying saucers and Maltesers and such.

oops, wrong thread

Bump. Any help, Dopers?

If it’s Scottish, what instantly comes to mind is Taggart

Might it be Heartbeat?

“Heartbeat is a British police drama series set in 1960s North Riding of Yorkshire based on the “Constable” series of novels written by ex-policeman Peter N Walker, under the pseudonym Nicholas Rhea, and broadcast on ITV in 18 series between 1992 and 2010.”

It’s a book series, Leaffan. Should have emphasized that more in the OP. Thanks though, I’ll check it out.

The North Riding of Yorkshire is some way from Scotland. Nor do I recall any character on Heartbeat consuming mass quantities of candy.

All the characters hated each other. I recall.

On your show? Certainly not on Heartbeat.

Could it be the Logan McRae series, by Stuart McBride?
http://www.stuartmacbride.com/blog/an-sordid-confession/

Speaking of Stuart McBride, his Logan McRae novels are set here in Aberdeen. From your description his other series, Oldcastle, with Callum MacGregor, sounds more likely.