British panel shows and swearing

I suppose Rule 34 applies.

To Roy Chubby Brown? Oh dear God, man, why would you say that? <bleaches brain>

But as I said, there remains a market for that sort of thing, although it’s not as prevalent as it was (and Mrs Brown’s Boys is a good example of what’s filling that niche). Hell, Jim Davidson is still working, albeit in small theatres around the country rather than on television.

It lives on in live performance.

Al Murray (aka The Pub Landlord) makes a mint out of his big live shows that are quite a bit cruder than his TV material. Many comedians select their material according to the audience and live shows have far fewer concerns about causing offence because people pay to be there.

As for Working Mens Clubs, they are still around, some are quite plush. The Strippers and Drag artist/‘Blue’ comedian format still works. Made more equal now with women only ‘Ladies nights’ with male strippers. These are just as ribald and there are sometimes silly games and prizes of sex toys which set the neighbourhood buzzing for sometime afterwards.

I don’t really see blue comedy going out of fashion anytime soon.

Theatres also mine a rich seam of vulgarity in the popular taste with the farce.

I can recommend ‘Cooking with Elvis’ as an example.

People like and good belly laugh at a rude sex joke once in a while.

The UK does not have a significant Religious Right lobby or advertisers sensitive to conservative values.

However, what they do worry about is enjoying this in the presence of family members of the opposite gender or of a different generation, which can be quite embarrassing. There are rules. Ladies Night at the club will have ladies from 19 to 99 enjoying a fun night of risque comedy and they expect to see ‘The Full Monty’. The only men present will be the performers or sometimes a gay couple.

I am sure there is a thesis or two written on this subject by Social Anthropologists.

Frankie Boyle is still going strong…

And Jimmy Carr manages both extreme crudity and wordplay and innuendo, which is nice.