Brits: a micro tour, by one actor, of UK accents: how'd he do? Others for different languages?

I think he did a really good job. Yes, any of us could pick nits about the representation of our local accent but all in all I am impressed.

Thanks a lot. I’ll give it a look-hear.

Keep 'em coming if you think of any more…

I was enjoying this with a smile, and all of a sudden I heard my Oma! She’s dead so many years, but truly, an electric streak of joy and happiness ran through me. Actually started crying…

Amazing. And all it took was a comic imitating a weatherman from Frankfurt.

Thank you so much.

I agree with you,there are many different accents within Dublin. I also agree with you, as a Dubliner, that his effort there is mostly rubbish.
I was once sitting at a restaurant table in Portland, Oregon, with 3 other guys from Dublin. We were all Dubliners, born and bred Dublin, for generations. The youngest guy was flirting with the waitress, and at the end of the meal he got her to sit down and chat. She’d been wondering where we were from, and he invited her to guess. Her guesses were :

1. English.

2. Scottish.

3. Irish.

4. New Zealander (this was me).

British Isles accents are far more complex than that video shows.

I was not particularly impressed by this.

Theatre actors learn how to do accents, it is an essential skill. While it is easy to say a few words, it takes a lot of training to keep it up for a part with a lot of dialogue. A common technique is to write out key works as they sound and accumulate a vocabulary or words and phrases and listen to a huge number of recordings.

This guy was just showing off a little and he chose just a few words that gave a brief flavour of the most obvious features.

His example a Yorkshire accent was very different from the East Yorkshire dialect I grew up with. Accents can vary significantly over quite small distances. Despite many predictions for their demise, accents are still as strong as ever. You can hear them very stongly in young people, here is an example:

This is clip from one of my favorite movies, Kes.

Listen to the accent of the young guy Casper, it is from South Yorkshire. A lot of the young actors were just local kids, hence the very naturalistic style. They were from the Barnsley area, I believe. Which was a coal mining area back when the film was set, in the late 60’s.

The film itself is a pretty authentic representation of school life at that time. It was a different world.

First I’ve heard of it - and I’m a Brit. Your quote doesn’t even make sense as “Brit” is a noun and “British” is an adjective.

Regarding the video, apparently the entire Midlands doesn’t exist.

I misremembered. He said “Briton” not British. It was pertaining to our calling a bird as a gallinule and Brits calling it morehen.

His Ohio accent stunk.

Jonathan Pryce did a British equivalent.

A hijack, but since you’re all here:

In this video of a genial fall-down drunk and his pizza, these guys are from Scotland?

I’m embarrassed that’s as good as I can come up with.

North-East England - Sunderland maybe? I feared for his pizza watching that!

That’s certainly North East, seems too mild to be a Newcastle accent, Middlesborough perhaps.

Well, since you’re still here (this is fun):

This I know is Scotland. In fact, I’d bet more people in the US (if not all Anglo) heard hard-core Scottish from Trainspotting than any place else. (Pace James Bond.)

It was famous for stumping so many people, actually being shown with subtitles someplaces.

Two questions:

1. Where are they guys from?
  2. By the second or third viewing (which I don’t think it was worth, but Netflix+bored), it was understandable, but the guy Bexby (sp?) still stumped me here and there. Admittedly, he’s a psycho with a vocabulary and manner of speech befitting such, but still, his speech is in a class by itself.

What’s up with his accent/speech?

A YouTube scene I found is here; he begins talking a 1:20. (Note: sick violence.)

The characters are from Edinburgh, or Leith. Incidentally, the way you use “they” here is fairly common in Scotland, although it might better be spelled “thae”.

It’s Begbie, and it’s a pretty damned good radge’s accent.

Huh. As far I was concerned, it was a typo, which I didn’t feel like going back and fixing…

:confused: I have absolutely no idea what this means. But you probably knew that. :slight_smile:

You were taking the piss?<—Don’t Englishmen say this? Do Scots? Did I use it right?

“They” or “thae” is quite often used in spoken Scots for “those”.

I did :wink: A radge is the sort of thick as shit psycho that Begbie is. It’s used a lot more in the book than the film.

I wasn’t, but you’ve used it perfectly, Leo.

“They” and “thae” are different words - they mean different things and have different etymologies.

So is it “thae” that gets used for “those”?

Yes.