Brits: Why do you have a "Royal Navy" but a "British Army"?

The British navy is called the “Royal Navy,” but I’ve never heard the British army called the “Royal Army.” Why is that?

Interesting. My speculation is that this is due to the fuedal roots of the British Army. The king didn’t fund and directly control the army, various aristocrats did. But the navy was funded and controlled directly by the monarchy.

Isn’t the edit function great? :smiley:

Yes, not all units of the British Army have royal patronage historically. Those that do bear the royal title as individual regiments, The Queen’s Own Hussars, the Royal Artillery, etc.

It also may have lost any royal associations after the rise of the New Model Army and Cromwell, what with the beheading and all. :smiley:

The most interesting thing about King Charles I is that he was 5’6" tall at the start of his reign, but only 4’8" tall at the end of it…

Unlike the Royal Navy and the RAF, the Army started not as a unified force but a collection of separate miltary units, some with royal patronage, others not. So it was not called the “Royal Army” because not all of it was “Royal”.

And as to the reason why it’s simply the Royal Navy instead of the Royal British Navy like some other navies (Royal Swedish Navy, Royal Australian Navy, etc) is that it was the first navy to use the “royal” style. Ditto for the Royal Air Force.

That osteoporosis is a bitch. Richard Brandon (assuming it was him), on the other hand, was respectful, but just as efficient.

Actually, it was Blackadder.

…because of…
OOOOOOOLIVER CROMWELL, LORD PROTECTOR OF ENGLAND(Puritan!), BORN IN 1599, DIED IN 1658 (September!)…

I looove that song!