Bronze medal Athlete fidgets and fusses during national anthem

She fidgeted and covers her head hardly a grand gesture of solidarity

Moonwalking would be great!
Crotch grabbing, spitting, maga emblems?

As far as I’m concerned, she is entitled to her feelings and their expression thereof. However, I’d like to ask her why she is representing a country that she hates so much. If it is just for the personal recognition, I have to say it isn’t worth it. Few Olympians gain lasting fame. A hammer thrower? No one will remember her in a year.

::shrugs:: So go earn a medal and a place on the podium, and gesture as you see fit.

Where is she saying she hates America? She said “The anthem doesn’t speak for me. It never has.”

I think the anthem is weird however displaying some dignity during the moment won’t set back your protest career.

So basically, “Protest all you want, just not when people will actually be paying attention to you.”

We are literally complaining about a black person “fidgeting” now. This is where we’re at.

Ooh flexing your RO muscle now while intentionally making up shit?

OP description seems biased and incorrect, from what I’m seeing the athlete deliberately turned her back and put on a t-shirt that said “Activist Athlete” on it. I don’t really see any “fidgeting” and “fussing” being reported.

This appears to be an accurate summary of the OP.

Ok right. the fussing came after the anthem because it pissed her off.

If that was directed at me, I refer you to the title of this thread.

I think it’s amusing that the US T&F defense is that the anthem is played every day on a published schedule, when on this day it deviated from the schedule. It was played while athletes were on the podium, instead of beforehand as they were told it would be, in accordance with the published schedule.

In a situation like this, when the action is almost certainly controlled by ‘a dude pressing a button’ the action happening at a particular time, like when a controversial athlete is standing on the podium, does not require CT level contortions to be intentional. It could also be an ‘oh crap’ moment where they realize they’re late and waited until an appropriate time to play the anthem, such as when athletes were awarded and standing on the podium.

From the article in the OP:
Those in attendance at this event hardly seemed to notice what was happening and didn’t react at all.
That, to me, seems like the appropriate response.

Don’t insult other posters.

Moderating:

This is a personal attack and also violates the rules about calling a poster a liar. Please dial it back and remember you’re in IMHO.

No warning issued.

If she gets on the podium at the Olympics maybe no one will take notice of her there as well.

This is going well.

If we fail to notice, perhaps you can bring it to our attention?