Brother-in- Law's Brother

Would a brother-in-law’s brother also be a brother-in-law? How does this work in other cultures?

I always call my BIL’s brother my brother-in-law-in-law.

Astonishingly enough, not a single person other than myself is amused by this.

I call my brother-in-law’s brother, Larry.

You hussy!

In America, no. We don’t have enough names for relationships, IMHO. For example, my husband has a sister. She is my sister-in-law, but her husband is not my brother-in-law, but he is my husband’s brother-in-law. I think.

I’d like for there to be a name for the relationship between me and my daughter-in-law’s parents, in a perfect world.

twickster I think that’s pretty funny. I smiled, anyway.

It depends on how he became your Brother-in-Law. If the BIL in question is your spouse’s brother, then it is a certainty that his brothers would also be your Brothers-in-Law.

On the other hand, if your BIL is the spouse of your sister, then his brother would be your sister’s BIL, but not yours.

The one that confuses me is, what to call my BIL’s wife (the woman married to my husband’s brother). I always called her my sister-in-law. But aparantly that’s not correct.

Actually, since we have so many cultures represented here in the U.S.A., we should start using all kinship terms from all of these cultures.
Ultimately, aren’t all people related to each other anyway?

Why not? I think in most families that I know of a brother-in-law’s wife is always called a sister-in-law, and vice-versa.

I once started a thread about my BIL and SIL’s sex life. I got a bunch of hillbilly jokes because supposedly my SIL would be my BIL’s sister and not his wife.

My brother-in-law’s wife (i.e., Deb’s sister-in-law) and I always referred to each other as the out-laws.

At family gatherings we’ve always had in-laws and out-laws. That usually how the Trivial Pursuit teams are made up.

When marriage is illegal, only outlaws will have in-laws.

Usually when trying to tell a story about a “distant” relative like that (maybe like my cousin’s husband’s brother) I usually end up saying “this guy I know…”

[not quite on-topic]

I always liked George Jones referring to the ex-husbands of his wife/wives as “husband-in-law.”

[/nqot]