Brother/mother another/different sister/mister

I had heard “brother from another mother” many times before. I thought maybe I had come upon something new with “sister from a different mister”.

A little research and I see that the latter is out there although not as popular as the former. So much for taking claim to an important contribution to society such as that.

As I pondered this whole thing I got to thinking what each said about the “siblings” and the theoretical parents. I can see guys, such as myself, taking it as a compliment and not considering it particularly offensive to their parents.

IANAG but I can imagine many not caring for the comparison quite as much and really taking offense to what it says about their mother and maybe even their mother’s multiple baby daddies.

What say you?

I say that anyone who takes that sort of offense to the phrase has either never heard it and misconstrues it, or is looking for a reason to be offended. I’m not going to say it’s impossible, but I have personally never heard that terminology used in anything but a complimentary light.

I can’t imagine anyone taking offense (or thinking that it says anything about their parents) either.

I think I’ve heard my nieces say it. They have the same mother but different fathers.

“Brother from another mother” refers to two guys’ friendship, not their kinship. What the construction of “sister from another mister,” is, I have no idea.

My very much non-identical twin sons refer to each other as “brother from the same mother.”

Clarify it for me – I thought it meant someone with no biological relationship at all, but with whom the speaker is as close as a sibling…?

Nitpick: in my experience, this phrase has never had anything to do with two guys or two girls. I’ve had several female friends refer to me as a brother from another mother. The “brother” or “sister” is just dependent on the gender of the target of the comment.

Anne Burrell was a guest on Guy’s Big Bite. Guy used the phrase.

I say that you’re not going far enough. People who take offense to either phrase are jackholes looking to start a fight for no good reason, and should be obliged with an open-handed slap across the mouth. I have directed the Armaments Department to distribute slapping gloves to anyone who needs them.

Both phrases mean “a friend so close as to be considered family in all but genetics.” They’re used because they’re compact, because they rhyme, and because all but the offenderati immediately understand them.

That’s my experience as well.

My jackboots do not give me the authority to slap folks. Had I the power of Athena behind me…

Turn on your teleport pad, and I will send you Hermes’s sandals and Hades’s helmet and a baseball bat, all of which you may use as you will for 23 hours forty-seven minutes nineteen seconds from receipt. I’ll trust your judgment.

That is what it means.

Years ago 2 young men moved to a mining town with their parents. One was 18 the other 17. The mine thinking they were both of age hired them. I had seen the older of the two and made the same mistake the mine did, however they didn’t turn to a friend and say “Geez the mine is hiring 14 year olds now?”. The mine began to suspect they had made a mistake and called the older in to explain how both boys had claimed to be 18. The older said “different fathers”. The younger boy a very good worker was let go. However they still laugh over the answer.