Bruce Greenwood as Christopher Pike in new Star Trek movie

What is a “MilF”?

A.) Why should his posting status have any bearing on his opinion?
B.) Whatever Ms. Ryder’s talents may be, if the script’s a POS, she can only do so much.
C.) It’s entirely possible for a great actor to get stuck in a role that’s not right for them, even if the script’s good.
D.) Some times, it’s possible to spot “the suck” before a film’s even made. The numerous SNL characters that have been given their own film should be proof of that (It’s Pat! set a record for the worst box office take, IIRC.)

MILF= Mom I’d Like to Fuck

Has he read the script? Of course not. Almost nothing is even known about the plot.

So? Do you need to taste something that’s brown, looks like shit and smells like shit before you declare it to be shit?

Shh…the fact that Berman and Braga aren’t allowed within 300 feet of this already puts it a good foot or two above Voyager or Enterprise…

It should be noted that there were 3 Oscar nominations, 1 Golden Globe victory and even 5 acting wins from the Cannes, Venice, and Berlin film festivals (combined) distributed amongst the cast of Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace and, uh, well there you go.

Yes, you do have to know something about the script before you can fling out facile criticism about a movie that hasn’t even been filmed. There is a certain minimum required.

Bull. That’s like saying no matter how badly someone’s screwed you over in the past, you should always treat them like this time they’re going to give you a fair deal, because they might have changed since you last saw them.

I don’t need to see the script for a Stephen King movie to know that there’s a 99% chance it’ll be a horror film, and if I see that the cast includes a bunch of Elvis impersonators, I’d be a fool to think that the film was not going to have something to do with Elvis.

At present, we have a franchise which has sucked hard for about the last decade or so, we have a director who has done some good work, and can at least make dreck look good (Mission Impossible 3), a cast which doesn’t necessarily fit with the characters they’ll be playing (Simon Pegg as Scotty? That’s real iffy. Pegg’s good at comedy, but can he do technobabble?), and either a rebooting or a shoehorning of the franchise. All of those things make this a very iffy proposition. The trailer for Nemesis looked great, in fact, it was great. Unfortuantely, the film turned out to be an incomprehensible Wrath of Khan Lite. So you’ll forgive me if I refuse to be a fapping fanboy and have some doubts, instead. To quote Amy Wong, “Fool me seven times, shame on you, fool me eight or more times, shame on me.”

You’re not even the person I was addressing. Maybe that person can speak for himself?

You are mistaken. Voyager had the lizard episode, and Enterprise killed off Trip. Aside from that, it’s been a fair run.

What is this, kindergarten? I should note that you did not quote anyone in your previous comment, therefore, is it not reasonable to assume that your comments are fair game for anyone to answer? After all, it’s not like you went to the trouble to make sure that they’re addressed to anyone. They’re just thrown out in the thread.

In your opinion. Voyager didn’t work very well, IMHO, and Enterprise was doomed the moment they put lyrics to the theme song.

Everything is an opinion.

Yes, the theme song fellated with great allacrity. Smearing each other with decontaminating gel fellated.
I’ve forgotten the term…coficilator… the third sex supposedly repressed creature that Trip “liberated” and committed suicide was a great Star Trek episode. Both Voyager and Enterprise were hampered by bee stung lips, oversized breasts and clinging, indeed, choking costumes.

Are we really going to argue continuity when a 30-something Centarian named Zephram Cochrane morphs into James Cromwell from Montana?

I recall that Roddenberry’s original notes on Kirk said that he was one of the youngest men (it was just men, then) to captain a starship. I’ll bet he had the same idea for Pike when he did the pilot. It makes sense that Pike would be older in this version.

You’ve got a point there.

I watched an Enterprise episode the other day. And maybe for the first time, I notice how frickin well-done the VISUALS of the opening credits are.

I envy our hearing-impaired brothers and sisters who can enjoy that without being distracted to hell by that insane song.

Cochrane was of Centaurus, not from. There is no canonical Centauran race in Star Trek.

They didn’t even commission an original opening theme. “Faith of the Heart” was a recycled Rod Stewart tune from the film Patch Adams.

Christ. I just lost brain cells from learning that.