Build-A-Kid Inc.

In this hypothetical future, the only way to have children is to have them designed by genetic engineers. You start by filling out a simple form as to what you want your child to be like, but you must answer all questions, you are limited to the choices given, and any write-ins or skipped questions means the form gets tossed. Let’s begin:

1. Sex-male, female
  2. Hair color-blonde, brown, black, red(you may choose the particular shade from the attached chart)
  3. Eye color-hazel, brown, blue, green
  4. Skin color-choose from attached chart
  5. Sexual orientation-straight, gay, bisexual, nonsexual
  6. Facial structure based on-mother, father, random combination of both
  7. Potential heighth at age 18-pick a heighth between 4’5" and 8’2"(give or take 2")

I disagree with this on principle. However, given that it’s the only way to have a child:

1. Sex-male
  2. Hair color-brown
  3. Eye color-blue
  4. Skin color-A shade darker than pasty pale
  5. Sexual orientation-straight? This is the question that makes me most uncomfortable. I don’t know that I’m suited to make such a decision.
  6. Facial structure based on-random combination of both
  7. Potential heighth at age 18-6’

The lawyers insisted on that one to avoid future lawsuits. Sorry.

I already have a son, and would love to have a daughter as well. So…

1. Female
  2. Brown
  3. Green
  4. Pale white
  5. Straight
  6. Mother
  7. 5’11"

#5 bothers me too in that I don’t believe sexual orientation to be entirely based upon genetics, so I’d question the integrity of Build-a-Kid for pretending they can guarantee such a result. Nevertheless, I’d choose straight since it would give them a much easier life in many respects.

1. Female-I haven’t raised a daughter yet.
  2. Black
  3. Brown
  4. Olive
  5. Bisexual-let the whole world fear her coming-of-age.
  6. Combination
  7. 5’10"

What is the politico-social climate like with respect to sexuality and gender in this hypothetical future?

1. Sex-male, female
    female
  2. Hair color-blonde, brown, black, red(you may choose the particular shade from the attached chart)
    i don’t care but if i must pick, black
  3. Eye color-hazel, brown, blue, green
    green
  4. Skin color-choose from attached chart
    caramel, like mine, but more even
  5. Sexual orientation-straight, gay, bisexual, nonsexual
    bi
  6. Facial structure based on-mother, father, random combination of both
    combination
  7. Potential heighth at age 18-pick a heighth between 4’5" and 8’2"(give or take 2
    between 5’6" and 5’10"

Pretty much what it is now.

1. Sex-male (girls ARE harder to raise, at least based on my sample of one of each and lots of playground observation)
  2. Hair color-blonde (easier to dye whatever shade he wants someday without frying it with lighteners)
  3. Eye color-green (I just like green eyes)
  4. Skin color- dark “white”/light caramel that tans easily (dark enough to provide some skin cancer/sunburn protection, but light enough to easily see potential skin problems so they can be treated early)
  5. Sexual orientation-bisexual (no reason for me to limit his choices for him)
  6. Facial structure based on-random combination of both (why not?)
  7. Potential heighth at age 18 [within 2"] - 6’3" (studies show tall men are treated better and more successful in business and in dating; can’t think of a downside until you get taller than 6’5", so there you go.)
  1. male, I’ve got a boy already, when I thought I’d have more than one, I always wanted two the same
  2. dark blonde-honey colored, like mine
  3. hazel
  4. white, but not pasty, tans easily, doesn’t burn much (like mine)
  5. straight, simply because it would likely make his life simpler
  6. mother (me)
  7. 6’2’ or so

I’m basically building a mini-me, just like my other son already is. :wink:

1. Female
  2. Red
  3. Blue
  4. Fair - not that translucent white that some redheads get - maybe a couple of shades darker
  5. Bisexual. I feel like this is the fairest I can be here. Plus, I feel like it increases her options for finding someone to love who loves her back.
  6. Combination
  7. 5’10

Okay, gross, but I’m putting off chores, so I’ll play along, with commentary:

1. Sex-female. I don’t much care, though.
  2. Hair color-black. I almost chose “red,” since I’m a redhead and it’d be awesome to have a redhead kid, but see #4.
  3. Eye color-green, just because green eyes are awesome. Again, though, don’t much care.
  4. Skin color-olive-toned. Darker is fine. I don’t want my kid to be cursed with my redhead glow-in-the-dark skin that can burn in fifteen minutes of direct sunlight, thus my answer to #2.
  5. Sexual orientation-bisexual. If I gotta choose, maximize those choices!
  6. Facial structure based on-random combination of both. Of course.
  7. Potential heighth at age 18-5’10". I’m pretty short, and I know that while it doesn’t have a huge effect, it has a few minor deleterious effects in life. I’d want my kid to be just on the tall side of average.

Waitaminnit! Everybody’s responding by saying how they would answer the OP’s proposed questions for their dream-kiddo.

I interpreted the OP differently. I thought he’s asking for additional suggestions as to what questions should be on that kiddo-questionnaire. I envision such a wunder-kind application form would eventually have umpteen pages with hundreds of detailed questions to answer, so the applicants would be able to design their dream child in exquisite detail with fine-grained resolution. Not too unlike that hours-long questionnaire (as mentioned in a current nearby thread) that eHarmony wannabees have to plow through.

[sub]Not that I myself have any suggestions to suggest, to be clear. A kiddo is among the last things in the world that I would want.[/sub]

Your interpretation is incorrect.

Well, szorry about that.

1. Sex-male, though if "random is an option I’d choose that.
  2. Hair color-black.
  3. Eye color-Blue
  4. Skin color-olive-toned.
  5. Sexual orientation-bisexual.
  6. Facial structure based on-random combination of both. Of course.
  7. Potential heighth at age 18-6’-6’3 (this isn’t able to be nailed down so accurately. Genetics is only one component, so I set a range instead.)

I seriously considered making “intelligence” one of the choices…then realized how fact this thread would get sidetracked if I did.

1. Sex- female
  2. Hair color- brown
  3. Eye color-hazel
  4. Skin color- slightly olive, like mine (doesn’t burn easily in the sun)
  5. Sexual orientation- bisexual
  6. Facial structure based on- random combination of both
  7. Potential heighth at age 18- 5’7"

With the exception of #5 and #7, which still remain to be seen, the remainder describe both of the kids I do have.

I create a red-haired green-eyed bisexual male with a random combination of mother/father facial structure who is 6 feet tall exactly. (Because that’s how tall his dad is; seems fair enough.)

For the second child, I do the same, except female and 5’7". (That’s how tall I am.)

I figure bisexuality gives them maximum options.