Bulldogs...and their real purpose

As cute as a bulldog is, though they do breathe really loudly ]…more than normal, bulldogs were used to drag bulls by there rings (ouchies) if you don’t believe me, or I’m totally wrong, go talk to my Bio teacher. We were learning about genectically altering such things as fruits and dogs, and she even gave us an impression of a bull dog hanging to and fro off a bull’s ring. They were used to help meat farmers or whatever they’re called. :smiley:

Are you talking about this old column? If so, then your teacher is mostly right. Except for the part about the rings in the bull’s noses. During a bull-baiting, er, match, the bulldog didn’t grab the ring, it bit into the bull’s nose.

I never heard the part about ranchers using bulldogs to pull bulls, and it sounds pretty unlikely. Bulldogs are too small to pull anything but a very small calf. Plus, a bull that didn’t want to move could just lift its head, quickly eliminating any traction the dog might have.

Of course, all bets are off if we’re talking about a hypno-bulldog. :wink:

Welcome to the SDMB, and thank you for posting your comment.
Please include a link to Cecil’s column if it’s on the Straight Dope web site.
To include a link, it can be as simple as including the web page location in your post (make sure there is a space before and after the text of the URL).

Cecil’s column can be found on-line at the link provided by Zelmph(!).

The column (including Slug Signorino’s illustration) can also be found on pages 4-5 of Cecil Adams’ book «The Straight Dope (1984; reissued 1986, 1998)».

moderator, «Comments on Cecil’s Columns»

sorry-I’m not good with linking and all that other web techie stuff. I’ll practice though, don’t worry.

Don’t sweat it, Devron, it’s not a huge issue. :slight_smile:

Then there’s [url=http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a5_213.html]this column about the rings in bull’s noses.

This is the first I’ve heard that bulldogs were used to pull the bulls around by the rings. Cecil says it’s so farmer’s daughters could do the trick.