Bush Disgraced

I was listening to NPR yesterday or the day before, and Bush was making a public statement about the Abu Grhaib situation, and he said, in part, “I’m disgraced”. Now, did he really mean to say, that in the eyes of the public, who are presumably listening to this address, that he has been disgraced? Or, in true GWB fashion, did he mean to say that the actions are disgraceful? Sure, I coule see him saying, “I’m disgusted”, but disgraced? For the egomaniacal leader he is, I found it a little strange for him to say this. Like Nixon saying, “I am a crook.”
Comments? Am I waaaay off base here?

In the first place, Bush is not the brightest star in the firmament. He often has to think about questions posed and doesn’t always say what he intends to say. However, as Truman said, “The buck stops here.” If he considers the treatment disgraceful, he would be “disgraced” if he were Truman. Bush, unfortunately, is no Truman.

bump this bastard up to the top again please.

The people that don’t like Bush think he’s disgraced.

The people that don’t dislike Bush think the actions have been disgraceful.

The people that like Bush think you’re a traitor and a terrorist and all sorts of other nasty nasty things, but you shouldn’t care what they think.

Generally.

if there was a wordplay champ, you’d get first prize. Job well done. I hear ya, and still hafta read over and over again.

I don’t like GWB, and I don’t think he meant to say “disgraced.” I think he meant either “disgusted” or “embarassed.”

In context, it’s clearly a malapropism and not an admission of culpability:

Unless he meant that the high school educators he was speaking to had a share in the blame as well, of course.

(I suppose that can’t be ruled out, considering the philosophy of “No Child Left Behind.”) :wink:

I don’t think it’s necessarily a malapropism, Larry. He might’ve meant that we, as a nation, are disgraced by what’s happened. The phrasing could have been better, but it works.

I’ll leave the political sniping to others.