Bush flip flops

For 3 years Shrub and pals have been saying we will win the “War On Terror”. They have made it the centerpiece of the Presidency.

We will win the war on terror, there’s no doubt in my mind,” Mr. Bush said. “We will not rest, we will not tire, until the danger to America and civilization is removed.”

“The coalition is strong. And we will win the war on terror. They must have thought we were so weak and self-absorbed, so materialistic, that all we would do was file a couple of lawsuits, if you know what I mean. We will use whatever means are necessary to achieve our objective.” Bush

• “With the President’s leadership, we are fighting the war on terror – and we will win the war on terror. (Applause.) Many of al Qaeda’s known leaders have been captured or killed. Those still at large are on the run, and we are going to hunt them down – one by one.”* Cheney
    So yesterday he comes up with this statement on the Today Show:
    *When asked “Can we win?” the war on terror, Bush said: " * I don’t think you can win it. But I think you can create conditions so that the those who use terror as a tool are less acceptable in parts of the world."
    I thought we had this never wavering fearless leader with a plan ?

There’ve been a couple of interesting turn-arounds in the last 2 days:

• Bush says the war on terror may not be winnable.

• Bush admits there may have been a miscalculation in the Iraq war. Just maybe.

• Cheney says he’s OK with Gay marriage being decided by the states.

These are all positions that Bush’s opponents have taken, and they have then been attacked ruthlessly by the teeming-right pundits.

One has to wonder about these admissions being timed to the opening of the RNC. Obviously part of a run to the middle, which apparently includes admitting the possiblility of mistakes by taking your opponents positions.

I expect we’ll hear several more talking points from the Kerry or Dean campaigns coming out of Bush admin mouths over the next couple of days. Perhaps we’ll see the Bush administration vilifying themselves as the campaign unfolds. :stuck_out_tongue:

His acceptance speech on Thursday night might be more worth watching than expected.

[Moderator Hat ON]

We already have a thread on this Bush quote, so I am locking this thread.

[Moderator Hat OFF]