Business or pleasure? (visa question)

Specifically, when you enter the US the immigration officer asks whether the trip is for business of tourism. My Google search turned up plenty of information about visitors’ visa, but “Visitors - Business and Pleasure” seem to be listed as a single category. Why do they need to ask which it is, and what difference does the answer make? And what’s the definition of a business trip anyway? If, for example, my employer outside the US is paying me to go to the US to do research or attend a convention, is that a business trip?

I don’t know about the U.S., but I remember some years ago when I was taking business trips from the U.S. to Canada, I had to have some kind of written document with me that allowed me to bring business materials into Canada. Maybe the U.S. has something similar. Sorry, I can’t remember what the document was called.

>> If, for example, my employer outside the US is paying me to go to the US to do research or attend a convention, is that a business trip?

Yes, definitely. B1 and B2 visas are generally combined so you get both and you can go for one or the other or both. They just ask you the purpose of your trip and then your answers should be consistent.

What sailor said. Basically, they’re just looking for consistency between the stated purpose of your trip and any other indications of your intent. So if you show up for what you say is a three-day business trip with two huge suitcases, a trunk, $100,000 in cash, and no return ticket, you may be facing some questions.

What sailor said. Basically, they’re just looking for consistency between the stated purpose of your trip and any other indications of your intent. So if you show up for what you say is a three-day business trip with two huge suitcases, a trunk, $100,000 in cash, and no return ticket, you may be facing some questions.

Amazing; I double-post, and sailor’s response still shows up as the last response if I do a search. I think the hamsters are tripping.

Hmm, this thread still says “3 replies” on the thread list…

Anyway, thanks for the answers. So I guess saying “business” doesn’t result in additional restrictions.