Butthurt

That’s the way I always looked at it too.

Did an actual latino linguist ever weigh in on whether or not it is as bad an insult as mentioned in that thread? How would it get translated? I once asked a guy from El Salvador if he was married to a guy he was bickering with. That didn’t go over well. Knives did not emerge but I almost got my ass kicked.

Well, once I wiped one too many times and my butthurt. Does that count?

You know, not only does this comment sum up the farcical nature of the situation perfectly, it’s got me realising that almost every situation becomes infinitely cooler if you re-imagine it as being like something from a Spaghetti Western.

Even something as mundane as buying your groceries or making a cup of coffee becomes a crowning moment of awesomeness when you imagine everyone involved wearing ponchos and hats, with Ennio Morricone-esque music playing in the background…

As to the OP, I’m not a fan of the term either.

Clearly I need to up my viewing of the History Channel. Or is A&E still weird crime all the time? :wink:

That reminds me of the UK 1980s comedy short, A Fist Full of Traveller’s Cheques - Brits on vacation in Spain, made as Spaghetti Western.

“You want soft toilet paper? You go to Hotel Gayboy. Thees ees Hotel Bastardos.” “No flusha da guns downa da toilet!”
“It’s a Euro-Rover… old man.”

My favorite is “Rogue Cheddar”.

Nope. Wasn’t trying to insult you.

I saw the title. Then I saw that you started it.

Had never heard of the term butthurt.

I had heard of the term buttmunch.

So, it’s worse that the feeble attempt of the dimwitted to insult you. It’s the feeble confusion of the dimwitted to recognize the term butthurt.

No, no - I didn’t think you were trying to insult me. It just reminded me of when people do (not that it happens very often).

See what happens when you try to comment to the feeble minded?

Let that be a lesson to you. :smiley:

Likewise, I get no anal sex vibe from the phrase.

There’s a suggestion of a metaphoric spanking, and also of any non-serious and mildly embarrassing pain that might make a person stick out their lower lip and frown.

I think it’s caught on because it’s useful and evocative. It’s too early to know if butt hurt has lexiconic legs, but I don’t like Bosstone insisting that the phrase is too evil to even be given a chance.

Spanking, wiping, kicking, penising…I think the underlying message is that life, properly lived, is a pain in the ass and you best learn not to cry about it. Butthurt is not real hurt.

:rolleyes:

Please. The phrase itself is not evil, and I never said it was. I even agreed that it can be useful in the right contexts. But it can be misused to dismiss valid arguments, and in my experience it gets misused far more than otherwise.

Either way, it’s a signal that it’s time to stop talking to the person who uses it. Either you really are being a whiny bitch and need to quit moaning, or the person’s decided you’re one and nothing more productive is going to follow.

Raised hand waving wildly

Oooh oooh oooh… I Feel Pretty?

Hmmm… you know, I don’t think my characterization of your feelings was wildly inaccurate.

And I can’t see how “butt hurt” is a more effective dismissal of someone’s humanity than, say, an eyeroll emoticon. Or calling them overly sensitive.

I wasn’t trying to ‘call you out’ in my post, and wasn’t trying to precisely summarize your arguments. My point was that the phrase in question was useful and succinct and didn’t warrant extreme reactions. I could have substituted the OP’s handle, Munch, for yours.

You’re being overly sensitive.

I was butthurt once. True story: I was on an overnight train in Russia many years ago on a Uni trip. We were all very drunk and I fell off a barstool and bruised my tailbone. Hurt like a bitch the next day - and many days afterwards.

Of course, there was no knife fighting involved and the only thing mopping the floor was my drunk ass. :stuck_out_tongue:

It refers not just to sex in general but the miserable experience of bad anal sex. It’s extremely painful and makes people understandably irritable and self-pitying. When people act that way without just provocation, it’s a fairly good description. When the term doesn’t apply, the speaker looks like a moron.

(Yes, yes, I suppose it can be caused by knives and toilet paper. You people lead weird lives.)

I would take it a step further and add the implication that there is no just provocation. Feel self-pity? Gooood. You surely deserve to. But don’t inflict it on your betters.

Yeah, could be. I know I’m being hyperbolic.

Did you just say that no one should object under any circumstances? Am I being whooshed here?

Not my POV. Just a gloss on the butthurt concept - one of many, potentially.