Buying an iPod with 57 pounds of change

My friend, the Italian Stallion, had been saving up change for four months. He got pretty far, about 346.50 dollars worth. He had been wanting an iPod, so the plan, then, was pretty simple - procure an iPod with straight change and any other means necessary.

He calls us up, moi and “Rose”, and we head off to Best Buy with our bright pink retro drug smuggling 60 pound bag.

Sadly, nothing can really be said about our first trip. Best Buy was really friendly and un-brain dead, and would of allowed our purchase to go through except for they couldn’t find any place to store the change. Also, and this will become important later, they counted it with a scale, something that took all of five minutes to do.

Anyway, we were about to head home sad and rejected until we remembered Circuit City.

Ah, what a dreadfully hideous place. The employees there are the kind that would refuse to eat brains as a zombie and opt for slow degradation instead. Not for moral reasons, mind, but for the utter lack of a thinking process and the complete inability to do work.

(This is a good time to mention we entered right before closing, for whatever it’s worth.)

So, we find the iPod we want and give the bag to Sea Urchin Billy.

“Oh shoot,” he says. “No you didn’t.”
“Oh shoot,” he says again. “No you didn’t.”
“Oh shoot,” he says, again, hopefully for the last time. “No you didn’t.”

He then proceeds to not contact his manager or anything sane, but to take out each roll of change, feel it over a good bit, and put it on his workstation. It went like this for awhile , with some talking going back and forth. Just typical things like “shouldn’t you use a weighing machine” and silly suggestions like that. Finally, he contacts his manager , who comes over and starts getting insanely pissy like he has sand in the box his kid’s came in. Almost like we are not the customers and he doesn’t have the right to refuse service to anyone.

So, he barks at us, but we take it in stride because we want our friend to get the iPod and we like the silly man for being pissy over his own choices.

At this point, our friend Billy mentions casually “Oh God! Don’t joke with him, man, I’m serious, man, don’t joke with him!” like this is some form of interogation and Jack Bauer is about to flash light probe our collective chocolate starfish.

Despite his best intentions, we laugh at the moron and continue on our merry way through the store. We make our way to the back room, where we leave the Stallion to his own devices and retreat back to a safe distance.

“I waaaaaas going to leave sometime today, but I guess I won’t nooooooow” states the manager manner of factly. This would be for one of two reasons: a) the store was closing and b) he began to count the change by hand! Who the hell thinks that is even remotely a good idea?

Anyway, they begin to count. During this, employees would stop by, check out, and leave smiling and shaking their heads. They continue this way for the next 35 minutes, counting and slowing closing, which for a normal establishment would be the end of the story.

Not here, though. These are a special form of idiots.

Keeping in mind the fact that my friend has every form of change imaginable in his bag, they then proceed to ring him up and give him change back. They gave him a freaking penny back, despite the fact that he handed them over 3,000 pennies in all.

Who knew buying an iPod could be so much fun?

Well, that was fun. Thanks.

Rose, for some reason, looks like she’s super great to hang out with.

It only took 4 months to accumulate 346.50 in change? That’s close to 3 bucks in change every day. Does that seem like a lot to anybody else, or am I just a person who generates very little change?

Gee whiz. That was real nice of you guys.

What a colossal waste of everybody’s time. Genius.

I think I would have enjoyed this story much more at ,say, fourteen.

I think you may hit a divide here between People Who Have Worked Retail and People Who Never Were So Blessed.

That said, I think this sounds like a pretty amusing way to spend an afternoon, but what do I know :stuck_out_tongue:

Most stores don’t have a ‘weighing machine’. They don’t expect their customers to be total idiots. They also aren’t obligated to accept large quantities of coins as payment. Take the change to a bank next time, genius.

In light of the other replies, I’d like to say that mine was not sarcastic. I thought it was funny and the pictures were worth a couple of chuckels. I’ve always said I have the sense of humor of a teenage boy, though, so make of that what you will.
[sub]boobies! tee hee.[/sub]

While the dissent is more than applicable, it was really just a social experiment to see if they would accept it. They were in no way obligated to do such and we were in no way forcing them to do it. In fact, the guy even said that someone brought in 300 dollars in change before, but they didn’t accept it. In fact, the Stallion was planning on coming back in paper currency if all else failed.

Besides, IMHO it was just more fun to do it this way. Regardless of the opinions here, I still find it funny, even if that makes me a cretin. I think it has to do with the futility of change and how it’s legally an applicable form of payment but socially it’s a taboo, almost entirely unlike Emperor Norton I bills.

And Revtim - yea, that is a ton of change. Really, I have no idea how he got that much, but I do know it wasn’t anything shady. Probably from his restaurant and tips like that, otherwise I am not sure.

Rose is a lot of fun, too, UrbanChic.

Any manager with half a brain would have called in the press, getting free publicity out of a strange situation, especially telling the reporters that Best Buy had turned away a customer with cash in hand. If the press couldn’t make it in time, well, hey, you’re surrounded by thousands of video cams! Just grab a demo off the shelf.

Zebra, speaking as someone who’s been paid both in change for a really large purchase (about eighty dollars or so) and a hundred-dollar bill for a greeting card (priced at three dollars, give or take, around my neck of the woods), it’s not funny to the cashier who has to handle the money. It’s irritating, tiresome, and generally really annoying.

Just keep that in mind next time, yeah? :slight_smile:

Well, If he has a job that gets tips, that goes a long way toward explaining it.

And I hope his next customer pays the tab 1/3 with pennies, 1/3 from travelers checks, and 1/3 from a credit card. At closing time. :wink:

They were probably less un-brain dead than you think. I bet they have a safe in the back which can easily store the change and a skim on a register would let them take it back immediately without really any additional paperwork. Odds are they were lying and turning your high-overhead transaction down so whoever was closing the cash office that night wouldn’t have to account for the extra coinage.

Enjoy,
Steven

The safes at best buy are surprisingly small. I’m betting they really didn’t have any safe place to store it.

Plus, paying in that much change is just making life harder for the cashier. Period. Not funny, not a social experiment, just shitty.

You presume there will be a next time! My kicks have been had and all that - besides, I usually buy from the internet anyway.

What a nice way to ruin some innocent retail drone’s day. (Not that their behavior was exquisite either.) Next time, take the damn change to the bank. They’re prepared for that sort of thing.

As I hate HATE HATE Circuit City, let me extend a giant thank you.

And for all you saying they wasted time and at was stupid, mean, whatever… they didn’t have to take change as payment.

I think it’s funny.

That’s up to the store owner, not the guy who has to count all the change.

I don’t know, if someone came into where I work (tax place) and paid their $400 bill in change, I’d laugh. A lot.

Then I’d grumble as I counted change. Wait. No I wouldn’t. I’d tell them to go to the bank.

But I’d laugh as I told my friends about it. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, I thought it was funny. But then, I’ve never had to work retail. :smiley:

Incidentally, I keep my change in a jar that yields around $300 when it’s full, and I’ve found it typically takes me 2-3 years to fill it.