Buying/Cooking chicken breast for first time ever! Help? Advice?

My brother sells food to restaurants for a living. Years ago, he told me that you can make a marinade out of pretty much anything, so long as you have (1) an oil, and (2) an acid. Vegetable oil doesn’t add much flavor, but it works fine. The acid can be something as plain as vinegar, or something spiffier, like lime juice or bourbon.

Experiment! Lime juice + vegetable oil + honey + soy sauce = deliciousness!

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the help so far. One more question: immediately after cooking, the chicken was awesome and juicy and flavorful.

Now, 24 hrs later, not so much. There is like an aftertaste/smell (I don’t think it’s gone bad; it’s sort of like the aftertaste/smell I associate with darker meat) and it’s less tasty. Any ideas why this might be?

Assuming you refrigerated it between then and now … how did you heat it back up? Or did you just snack on it cold?

Well I tried to microwave it but the microwave made weird poppy, “I am not pleased” sounds so I assumed chicken breast microwaved poorly (again, the slices were really thick) so I snacked on it v. lukewarm.

http://www.chickenout.tv/home.html

We eat chicken as our main meat and have found that the organic/free range chickens have a much better flavor. Also in some studies [sorry no cite but it was by Hugh Fearnsly] they showed that battery chickens had as much fat as fatty red meat. Plus battery chickens is just cruel!!!

Now we have a separate board just for chicken and always will.

Oven.

Bread it with crushed corn flakes. Mmmmmm.

Crushed Cheezit crackers, even more. Especially when you coat the chicken with sour cream before rolling in crumbs…

Chicken breast reheated in the microwave is not so great. If you have to reaheat it, just barely get it warm. It’s best in a sauce. I prefer mine to be left out on the counter and eaten half-cold.

My go to easy recipe is Chicken Marsala.

I like to cut the chicken breasts in half lengthwise, then pounded thin. Salt and pepper the breasts, then saute in olive oil over medium heat until brown on both sides. Remove to a platter, and cover with foil to keep warm. Saute some mushrooms in the oil until they release their liquid and brown. Deglaze the pan with 1/2 cup marsala wine. Cook over medium heat until wine reduces a bit. Add a tablespoon of butter, and 2 tsp capers plus a tbs of chopped fresh parsley. Slide the breasts back in the sauce, and heat until warm. Serve with pasta or rice, and a tossed salad.

Microwaving chicken – beyond the lightest sauce-protected warmup – makes it completely disgusting. To me it smells like wet dog. Sometimes, if I overenthusiastically defrost a chicken breast, the edge gets cooked – I won’t eat it, I just feed it to the cat.

Also, I hear there’s this special charcoal

Yeah, you aren’t married to Superhal are you? :smiley:

My advice is to keep the skin on, for flavor, but I can barely even cook pasta so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Today’s cooks don’t use their broilers enough. I say broil those breasts - whenever I’ve done it, the chicken has come out wonderfully. Moist, juicy, delicious. The broiler’s nothing to be afraid of, though it does need to be watched and monitored more closely than simply baking or roasting.

Chicken breast isn’t my favorite, but I’ve actually become quite fond of it as a lean protein. I normally use it as part of a stir-fry or taco filling in this case.

Read up on brining. This is perfect for a lean cut of meat like this and does wonders to retain moisture in the final product and give you a bit of insurance against overcooking. Some meat already has a solution injected into it, so make sure you do this on an unadulterated piece of breast. I personally don’t do this for anything I’m going to stir-fry, but if I’m doing whole pieces that are grilled, baked, or pan-fried, I always try to brine the meat.

I season mine with a little bit of Old Bay Seasoning and cook it on a broiling pan with a little water on the bottm (to steam it from the bottom up) for about 15-20 minutes at 350.

Mmmm mmmm.

If you make stove top rice, you can cut the precooked, cold chicken into chunks, then add to the rice part way through cooking. That way the chicken gets reheated and doesn’t get all dried out the way it does in a microwave.

Chicken breast is one of the best meats to re-use in a slow cooker, stew or chili. Take your leftovers, and shred them up with your fingers. Place them back into a sauce, or use them as an ingredient in chicken salads, soups, stir-frys, chilis etc… Never microwave chicken, it does get a funky skunky taste.

Most microwaves make popping sounds when something IIE that combines moisture with fat/oil, but I have no cite or anything, is being re-heated. Usually means you’re over-doing the temp/intensity setting or the time, though.

Next time, put cut-up leftover cooked chicken between two tortillas with some shredded cheese, brown briefly in a frying pan on both sides, and have yourself a quesadilla. Much better than just nuking it. :wink:

1. Second everyone who’s suggested marinade/brining. I always pipe up on the subject of marinades with this suggestion:

Goes really well with chicken.

1. No one’s mentioned it but why not pan fry them? N.B. that for extra crispness/savoriness, you can use pulverized pork rinds to batter them instead of flour. Low carb too.

Yeah, but nuking it from above the countertop is the only way to be sure…

I was inspired! So I bought a chicken breast, cut in up in cubes, dipped in egg, then into panko crumbs with garlic powder, pepper, and seasoned salt. Put them on a foil lined sheet sprayed with Pam, put the thinnest possible flake of butter on each cube, and baked at 350 degrees for about 20 -25 minutes. Excellent, with BBQ sauce or honey mustard as a dip! They didn’t reheat well in the microwave, though. I would try heating them in the oven, briefly, but…I eated them all.