Buying new walking shoes: need advice

As I sit here enjoying a slurpee, water is dripping on my chest. Now, condensation is water ‘sympathetically’ forming on the edge of the outside of the cup because of the temperature difference, right? In no way could it be affected by the coloring and dyes in the slushly and stain a shirt, or anything, right? Just regular water?

It’s a dumb question, I know, but I just want to be sure.

My current pair of shoes having almost bit the dust after four years of good service, I’m in the market for a new pair.

Criteria:

1. Durability. I wear the same pair of shoes every single day, and I don’t want to have to go buy a new pair after only a year. I want something that is going to stand up for a relatively long time.

2. Comfort. Obvious. Nothing that will pinch my toes or give me fallen arches or whatever.

3. Weather-resistant. No suede or any other fabric that will cause me to have to go around puddles or stay inside when raining. I live in Seattle and it is more or less permanently soggy here. I need shoes that won’t care too much about that. (OK, I’m not going to go creeking or anything, but if I’m out on a rainy day, I’d like my feet to stay at least somewhat dry.)

I don’t mind if they require a short break-in process. One of the most comfortable pairs of shoes I ever had was a pair of leather boots that were hideously uncomfortable for about a week, and then fit me like a glove.

I’m debating between your basic pair of Converse All-Stars, or a pair of Doc Martens. I’ve never owned a pair of Docs, though, so I don’t know how comfy they’ll be in the long run. I am open to other suggestions as well. Price is no object, as I am willing to pay quite a bit of money for a good pair of shoes that will last a long time. However, if I can find a good pair of shoes for less money, that would be good too.

Any suggestions?

Wow, cool. I have no idea how SenorBeef’s condensation post snuck in there. Could a mod maybe move it to where it was supposed to go, or is that beyond your modly powers?

Docs are definitely more durable than All Stars, IMHO. I hear they’re very comfortable, and they sure can go with anything.

As an aside:
Am I the only person, who, upon onpening this thread, is confronted with a post about slurpees made by Senor Beef before MsWhatsit’s post?

Very strange.

I swear by my Rockports. I wore my last pair just about every day for the last two and a half years. most days I walk 2.5 miles to and from work. I liked them so much I bought another pair of the exact same model.

I’ve also had a pair of Merrell hiking boots for quite some time. I’d highly recommend that brand as well.

You should try a pair of New Balance

love um

That is just plain weird…talk about board foul-ups! Now I need to check for the slurpee thread… :slight_smile:

I have a pair of 40$ CDN Brooks, which have last me for a year and a half now, and the only problem with them is that the top of the heel is breaking, but then, I don’t tend to untie my shoes when I put them on, so I am hell on that part of the shoe. Nonetheless, I’m likely to keep them for another year or more. They are quite comfortable. I don’t wear them EVERY day (not at work, and not so much on nice summer days when I can wear sandals) but near enough.

What the hell? Does anyone see my unrelated post on top?

Yup, I see it to, SenorBeef. Probably an index glitch at a busy server time. Does your OP appear elsewhere too? I’m assuming it’s a GQ. If it doesn’t appear yet, feel free to repost it in the appropriate forum.

Oh, and MsWhatsit needs to get herself a nice pair of Timberlands. I have these boots, have had them for a year, wear them regularly, and they show no sign of wear yet. And with Timberlands, you can have the soles replaced when they wear off.

Hey MsWhatsit. Get some Docs. And actually, get two pairs. That way the leather can breathe and dry out every other day, so they will last even longer.
Currently I flip back and forth between my oxblood wingtip Docs, and my Fluevogs with the red flamejob.

I just about live in my Birkenstock clogs. I’ve had my Boston Cocoa Nubucks for almost 2 years, and I just bought another pair in black microfiber last week. Best $110/pair I ever spent on shoes. I bought them originally to protect and not aggravate my ingrown toenails, but now I just love them for comfort. Mr. S, who also has foot problems, recently bought 2 pairs of Birk sandals. He likes them so far.

Oh, yeah. Those boots were MADE for walking!

My nubuck Rocksports have lasted many years here in Seattle and still look good. Wolky’s are good for women says my wife.Go to the Wooly Mammouth in the U district and see what they got. Good shoes are worth spending money on.