C-130 Hercules cargo plane turns 60

The fuel consumption is probably not cheap either (though if you can afford a $100m plane you can probably afford to fuel it), but just think of the money you will save in rental cars :sunglasses:
You could probably fit it with beds/galley and save on hotels too…

Brian

For the fans:

Never a C-130, but I did ride in and use the cable/jungle penetrator drop out of a CH-47 Chinook once for SAR practice.

You haven’t been buzzed (low flyover) until a Chinook buzzes you.

My second favourite aeroplane. Our military have 6, and I quite often see them flying from our local air force runway.

My favourite is its much smalller precursor, the C-47 Dakota, of which I was once most lucky. We’d gone out to a tiny local airfield in Zimbabwe to fly model aeroplanes when I was about 12 years old. When we got there, there was a C-47, loaded with paratroopers which had over-run the turn circle at the end of the runway and dropped one wheel into an aardvark hole, and was subsequently stuck.

My brother and I were most entertained by all the soldiers piling out, the plane putting on full throttle, and the soldiers ordered to push the plane out. They made it out after a bit, then climbed back in and did an extremely low level static line jump directly over the runway.

enipla, I just read this and learned a lot about Chinooks: Amazon.com

Sounds good. I have a couple of others in the line up first.

A great book about helicopters in Viet Nam is Chicken Hawk by Robert Mason.

C-130s are a frequent sight flying the skies above Little Rock. They’re always fun to watch.

Yes, I read Chicken Hawk in high school. Great book about Vietnam War helicopter piloting. My favorite bits were (1) the instructors having a kill switch to cut off the engine at any time, to get the trainee pilots used to always having in mind where they might autorotate and land in an emergency, and (2) the one crazy instructor who liked to fly along railroads just a few feet above the tracks and who, when a frightened officer aboard asked him to stop, went no higher but went faster.

Since we’re discussing other aircraft: “Flying Through Midnight” by John T. Halliday. That’s about flying a C-123.

My favorite bit from “Chicken Hawk” was the time the pilot accidently shot up his helicopter’s instrument panel. Later his compatriots gave him an “award” for detecting communist infiltration and taking appropriate action.

Here’s a T-shirt for ya (“Spectre” not misspelled on the shirt itself): AC-130 Gunship "Specture" T-Shirt

And a model: C-130 USCG Die-Cast Model

A C-130 played a somber role in the aftermath of JFK’s assassination: https://www.quora.com/Why-was-JFKs-original-casket-dropped-to-the-bottom-of-the-ocean/answer/Brent-Cooper-34

Thanks Elendil’s Heir, that was a morbid but fascinating read on this rainy morning.

Looks like there’s some cool C-130 gunship action in an upcoming movie (see 2:26): GUY RITCHIE’S THE COVENANT | Official Trailer - YouTube

A little hijack, but A) It’s a U.S. military cargo plane; and B) It’s 55 years old, so it’s close in age to the C-130.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/after-55-years-in-flight-the-us-air-force-is-planning-to-keep-its-biggest-plane-in-action-for-a-few-more-decades/ar-AA19Q07v

Thanks to the constant cycle of upgrades, the Air Force plans to keep its fleet of 52 C-5B/C/Ms in service until at least 2040.