AUGH. I know what I likely should do, but, well…AUGH. Every option gives me the heebie-jeebies.
I am 4 months pregnant with my second child. During my first pregnancy, a previously herniated disc herniated further when I was about 7mos along, then was essentially ripped apart during childbirth. (I knew I was in trouble when the MRI lab tech paled after my MRI and her demeanor with me completely changed, and when I asked why, said “I can’t really say anything about what I saw, but…well, your pain is warranted.”) I wound up having back surgery (microdiscectomy/laminotomy/foraminotomy) 4 months after giving birth. Then, following a cross-country flight in November 2007, what was left of the disc reherniated and kinked my sacral nerve root like a garden hose (can we say OUCH?). The microdisc was repeated five days before Christmas.
I’m well healed and got the green light to get pregnant again by my neurologist, neurosurgeon, and OB before trying for #2. I also got an MRI last summer to make sure everything is healing well; it is.
That all said–I’ve been told conflicting things about my delivery options. My OB originally said I could have a vaginal birth–that people who’ve had back surgeries are able to all the time. But, when he got a clearer picture of my history, he said that since my back problems were exacerbated by the pregnancy and childbirth process, I might want to consider a C-section. I’ve felt all along that’s what I should do, but… :eek:
The idea of a baby being cut out of me fuh-REAKS me out. The idea of having a spinal injection–assuming they will give me one; sometimes they won’t when a patient has had back surgery–wigs me out, because it means being paralyzed from the chest down (eep) and awake and alert while the baby is cut out of me. But, the idea of being put under general anesthesia makes me nervous as well, since I won’t be a conscious part of the delivery of my child, and it takes my body about a week to process out the anesthesia so I’ll be groggy and drunk as well as sore and hormonal after the baby is born. I also want to be able to meet and hold my baby as soon as possible…I don’t want to be waiting in a recovery room and wondering where the little one is.
Of course, vaginal delivery spooks me, too, since if my back fails again, it will mean a fusion–and that’s a 6-12mo recovery period. But–recovery from a vaginal birth is so much faster, and I am there for the birth. sigh FTR–my first baby had a fairly easy labor. In fact, things went so fast–from water breaking to birth in 2.5 hours–I was warned I may not know I’m in labor with a second until practically the little one is crowning. Add to that we cook our babies big n’ fast in my family (my son was nearly 8lbs 3wks early; my nephew was nearly 9lbs 3 weeks early; my niece was 8lbs 2wks early), and this decision might be made for me.
I’m looking for experiences, comfort, guidance, ideas…I know there are plenty of nightmare stories (gah), but I’d like to rationalize my :eek: as best I can.