C Section Recovery

Congratulations on baby Vivian. I like that name too. Cuddle that baby like crazy. There’s no way to spoil a newborn. Skin to skin contact actually helps develop certain parts of the brain from what I’ve heard.

Since this a c-section thread and I had one 3 years ago, I have a question. I always hear women talk about the “tiny” scar that was left after their c-sections.

My scar is pretty long. I’ve measured it at about 8 inches long. Is this normal? It’s thin and barely visible, but it practically goes clear across my lower abdomen.

During the delivery, my son refused to leave the womb and tried to crawl up into my ribcage, so the doctor had to use a vacuum to retrieve him. Maybe I had to be cut further to get the vacuum in there or was my doctor just a bit reckless with the scalpel?

Do you really all have “tiny” c-section scars?

More congrats and more love for the name Vivian. My childhood best friend was Vivienne and I have nothing but good associations with the name.

Mine’s a good 7 inches as well.

I have always interpreted “tiny” to mean “insanely thin and hard to see unless you know what you are looking for”.

Thank you for all the well wishes. She has a bit of jaundice so we have been in the hospital for 2 days but things are under control. Breastfeeding is not going so well. On Friday, my breasts felt very heavy and full, which seemed to be a good thing. Since then, not so much and we have had to supplement with formula. My husband wants to start feeding her formula with a bottle but I am reluctant to do that except as a last resort–we have been using a tiny feeding tube as I breastfeed.

The most important thing is getting her the nutrition she needs without us making ourselves crazy in the process. But, I do/did hope to breastfeed for at least six months if not a year. Of course, if I have no milk then so be it. At any rate, any thoughts on difficulties breast feeding and how I can increase my milk supply?

Yes, but I think we’re mostly talking about the scar being a thin nearly invisible line, not that it’s short.

And it depends on your cut. Most modern c-sections attempt to do a “bikini cut” because that cut is along the Langer’s Line - it’s how your skin “wants” to be cut, in line with the collagen fibers. It provides the least amount of disruption possible, making it less likely that the body will make lots of thick heavy scar tissue, or that you’ll pull out your staples or stitches or develop hernias, abscesses or other problems in wound healing.

If you look at old “vertical cut” c-sections, which cut across the collagen fibers, you’ll see a lot more scarring in general. The scar tends to be wider, and many women develop a “butt belly” with a tight scar separating the abdominal fat into two sections. Vertical cuts also weaken the uterine wall, which is where the old “once a c-section, always a c-section” rule came from.

What type of cut you need depends on the surgeon’s preference, the length of the pregnancy, your personal anatomy and, most importantly, the speed needed. A vertical cut is fast. If you have an *emergency *emergency c-section because you’re bleeding a lot or they can’t find a fetal heartbeat or the shoulder is stuck or some other urgent emergency, you’ll probably get a vertical cut.

If you’re early on in your pregnancy, you may get a vertical cut, because the uterus isn’t stretched out far enough for a doctor to get to the fetus through the bikini cut. If it’s not an *emergency *emergency c-section (that is, if they need to get the baby out in the next hour, not in the next five minutes), the surgeon may choose to do a bikini cut through the skin and then a vertical cut through the uterus. That’s what my surgeon did, but I don’t know how common it is. I’ve not run into another mother who mentioned it. Risk factors for future pregnancy and delivery are those of the vertical cut, even though the only scar you see is the bikini scar. So no VBAC attempts, by most hospital’s current guidelines.

But back to the question: I can rarely find my scar. I’m kind of bumpy and loose in that area to begin with, and the scar hides in a little skin crease. Or maybe the scar made the skin crease, I’m not sure. Once in a while (like now), my body decides it’s time to have Fun With Inflammation. All my joints get very achy and all my scars, including the c-section scar, scars where I had moles removed as a child and even my tattoos get hard and raised and painful to various degrees, so I can then see them pretty easily. But that’s my body being a big old jerk, and not something most women seem to have a problem with.

KSO, have they gotten you a consultation with a Certified Lactation Consultant yet? They should. Stamp your mama feet until they do, and seek out a doctor who considers low/no milk supply a medical issue, not just a petty inconvenience. There are medications that can help, but unless you make a fuss, they’re likely to ignore your need. Don’t get me started…

No stories to share, but congrats on the baby and have a quick recovery!

As I mentioned before, I had a terrible time breasfeeding after my c-section. My production wasn’t good, her latch wasn’t great, I often bled, kept trying and pumping for 3 months. I met with lactation consultants in the hospital and in the weeks following, to no avail. I can’t offer you advice as to what to do to improve your situation, but I must say - if it does not work for you, don’t feel bad for stopping. My sister and I both feel that I kept trying for too long, afraid to give up, not wanting to admit defeat. In hindsight, I wish I had stopped sooner, let myself off the hook and just enjoyed the baby rather than have every feeding be a trial. I spent too much time pumping and agonizing over breastfeeding and was frustrated and disappointed. I wish I had switched to bottles and formula sooner so those first few months might have been more enjoyable.

My daughter is a healthy, smart and happy 9-yr old despite being formula-fed! My son spent the first year of his life in an orphanage, never breastfed and didn’t get the best nutrition… he, too, is smart, happy and healthy. Not breastfeeding is not a terrible thing if it doesn’t work for you. :slight_smile:

My scar is no more than 6" long, but has faded to near invisibility. It’s in the crease of my “mommy pooch” too.

KSO, my advice is to do whatever keeps your daughter healthy and makes you relaxed, so that the two of you can enjoy this precious and incredibly short time together. Don’t worry about “should” and “ought” and statistics. The most important thing is that Vivian have a happy mom, and that means doing whatever is needed to help her thrive, given the reality of your situation.

My daughter, as I’ve said before in this thread, was a lazy eater and I never produced much milk. She didn’t gain weight the way she should. I tortured myself trying to breastfeed for two weeks and two days. I saw the lactation consultants nine times. Every latch on made my toes curl and made me see stars from the pain. I had to spend all my non-nursing time with the pump, trying to stimulate production, or trying to sleep, so I didn’t have time to cuddle and just enjoy my daughter. Finally at two weeks two days I broke down because I just didn’t want to do it anymore. I gave my daughter a bottle and when she was finished with it I held her, and just looked at her, and felt so happy. The next morning the lactation consultant told me that was the right decision.

My #1 “Do Over” resolution for baby #2 (should I ever have one) is to relax about the whole breastfeeding situation and not let it bother me.

Do what works FOR YOU.

Vivian! What a gorgeous name. I want another baby just to name her that. (OK, I really just want another baby, but that’s impossible and not the point).

My breastfeeding troubles were different than yours (baby with reflux, oversupply, lazy eater), so I’ll just +1 to the “seek consultation; decide what’s best for mama and baby Vivian”. But my son, who had so many problems with it, turned into a healthy and hearty nurser and loves him some food now. :wink:

So glad everyone is well. In case there are future C-sectioners reading this, I was going to recommend one of these for your recovery.

My scar is maybe four inches long and nearly invisible. My doctor was clearly an artist! I can wear a low-rise bikini and it doesn’t show.

As far a breast-feeding - my milk took a while to come in too, so I supplemented with formula. My daughter always preferred the breast and did not always need the extra, but I was concerned since she was pretty big (23 3/4 inches long and 9lbs, 8 ounces) at birth and since she was a c-section it took a long time for my milk to REALLY come in. It was actually a good thing, since Daddy or babysitter could feed her if Mom wasn’t there.

She nursed to 18 months, BTW.