C.V. writing question

Hi-- this might be a question of common practice and a little too opiniony for GQ-- I’m not sure. I’m working on my academic-job c.v. in the humanities. If I’ve given a conference paper that will be published (the text of the paper) in a journal run by the society that sponsored the conference session, how do I include that? Does that publication information go with the conference paper info in the ‘conference’ section, or does it go in the publication section, and if so how do I communicate that they are related? Is there a certain protocol for this?

This reference would suggest that Publications and Presentations be listed together.

Did you have a role in the conference beyond presenting your paper?

Look at your MLA style guide, too–it may help you with how to report the presentation. FWIW, I’m in the social sciences and we tend to separate like this:

Research (includes projects, including theses)

Publications
peer-reviewed
non-peer-reviewed (chapters, newsletters, manuals)

Presentations
peer-selected and large conferences
non-peer selected and trainings or local events

If something is presented and also published, it belongs in at least two of these sections. Example:

Research
I. M. A’Doper, My Philosophical Conundrum (dissertation) (DAI accession number, etc.)

Publications
Peer-reviewed journals
I. M. A’Doper & Ed Visor, My Philosophical Conundrum: A Double-Blind Double Bind, Journal of Irreproducible Results v. 48 #3 [2004], pp.88-107.

Presentations
Conferences

I. M. A’Doper & Ed Visor, My Philosophical Conundrum: A Double-Blind Double Bind (in A. Bighead (Chair), Double-Blind Conundra in the Academy (symposium). 153rd Annual Convention, American Philosophistical Society, Waikiki, Hawaii, January 23, 2003.

In my department, I’m pretty sure that would be viewed as disingenuous ‘double-dipping’ (if they are the same paper). I’ve done this:

Publications
Peer-reviewed journals
I. M. A’Doper & Ed Visor, My Philosophical Conundrum: A Double-Blind Double Bind, Journal of Irreproducible Results v. 48 #3 [2004], pp.88-107; and delivered at the 153rd Annual Convention, American Philosophistical Society, Waikiki, Hawaii, January 23, 2003.

We have conferences, with proceedings, and workshops, without. Very few people list workshop presentations in c.v.s I’ve seen (I do not) since they get very little review or screening, intentionally. Does the conference have a proceedings, or is the journal an effective proceedings? If the latter, then I think that having an item “presentation at xyz conference” is redundant if you have “the eye of newt,” Papers from xyz conference. If there the former, if the paper is modified, it should get its own entry. Papers I’ve written that got republished just get a mention of where they got republished in their entry.

I’m in engineering, and not an academic, so few of the people who have ever looked at my C.V. care about the niceties.

**Key Lime Guy, ** interesting. In my department, it would be seen as two distinct events (assuming that some form of editing or a peer review for journal inclusion occurred). I agree that if the publication is simply a collection of all the papers presented at the event, your methoid of listing is clearer and superior.

I’m in physics, not humanities, but for us there’s nothing wrong with having a talk in your Presentations section and the corresponding proceedings article in Publications. (Or, if there is, no one knows about it.)

However, you do want your CV to play up your strengths, and conference proceedings dilute a Publications section, IMO. Similarly, if you have given a lot of talks, you may want to only list invited talks, which look a lot better. If you have a lot of papers in good journals, leave the conference proceedings out of your publication section. If either section is sparse, though, include everything.

Ah, good information. Yeah, I’m torn. If i decide to just list it once I’ll toss it in the publications section as I’ve plenty of conference papers presented but few publications, so diluting’s not a. . problem? This is a regular journal pubd by a society that also does this session once a year and decided to print my paper in the journal after the conference happened. Thanks for the advice, guys.
I hate the job hunt. . .

Do conference presentations typically not include publication in a proceedings? In any case, in my experience a conference paper selected for publication in a journal is sign of quality, so I’d play that up.

In my field, a conference usually doesn’t suggest a publication-- only occasionally. Most of the annual conferencces don’t have published proceedings.