cabbage question, vis-a-vis soup stock

hi all,
I have a dear friend who is really going through it just now. I’m taking the lengthy and arduous trip to go see him tomorrow, and I thought of a small gift I’d like to bring him.

He is vegetarian. I have a lot of asparagus stems (you know, the lower 1/3), broccoli stems, etc. which I put in the freezer because I am hedonistic yet thrifty. :slight_smile:

I am going to bring him some heady homemade vegetable stock. So far I have asparagus, broccoli, onion, kale, celery, bok choy, and green cabbage.

My question: If I throw in some truly beautiful red cabbage, which we also have too much of, will it ruin it? Will it confine him to a narrower category of potential uses for the stock? (I am thinking of a borscht-like effect. Yes, I know borscht is beets, but still)

I know you have good advice for me. Thanks!

I can’t imagine that it would limit things flavor-wise, but yes, it will turn things…purpley-red. I can’t think of ANY way to get around that.

But that is a very nice thing you are doing, and I’m sure he will LOVE having the veggie broth around. It sounds wonderful and heathy and perfect for winter warm-ups.

Sounds good just add some dried beans of the age old soup mix variety and you will have what I ate all through winter. With meaty additions in my case (like a cut up fried chorizo or chicken leftovers).

Thanks, Taomist. I guess what I’m worrying about is a quality I can only seem to describe as “fruitiness” which I associate with red cabbage. But I’m going to go ahead & put some in. Maybe I’ll start small.
Edit: Ooh, thanks also, don’t ask. Experiential advice is extra good. Red cabbage it is!

Red cabbage fades readily, unlike beets. Beyond cabbagey goodness (Lord, I love cabbage!) all it will add is some blue or pink highlights. depending on your recipe.

For maximum visual effect red cabbage should be served fresh. Otherwise it is merely yummy, but more expensive than the pale sort. I assume that the classic pickled red cabbage (also yummy) is colored by the beets in the recipe.

TMI Warning!

The day after I first ate beets I was concerned that everything about my, er, droppings was red. It took me a while but I eventually concluded both that I was not bleeding internally and that the color in beets is persistent.

dropzone: I love cabbage too! I find that James Beard’s “Lady Cabbage”, or at least my interpretation of it, is popular even with those who don’t like cabbage. You slice it thin, as if for cole slaw, cook in butter with LOTS of garlic, add some cream/half-and-half/milk at the end.

I read a poll once of nutritionists, asking the top ten foods you should eat for good health. Cabbage was #1.

Also good, done in a similar manner are the much maligned brussel sprouts. I actually make my coleslaw now with brussel sprouts sliced on a mandolin instead of cabbage. Surprises the hell out of people.

Hee hee, you sly devil, I thought I was the only one on Earth who did that Lady Cabbage thing with brussels sprouts! Do you enjoy, as I do, serving them to people who don’t like them, waiting for said people to ask for seconds, & then telling them what they are?

:D:cool:
“I do not like green brussels sprouts, I do not like them Sam, get out!”

hee hee hee