Cable Internet -- Logistics of Cords etc

I’m moving, and where I’m moving to, I am told, the only broadband option is cable internet. What exactly will I be getting myself into by getting cable internet service? I’m asking about things like, will I need to literally string some kind of cord from my cable outlet to my computer? Stuff like that.

-FrL-

I have cable internet and my setup is basically like this:

I have one cable outlet coming into the living room where the TV is and a cable running from that outlet to the TV;

I have another cable outlet in our office/study/computer room and a cable running from the outlet to the cable box. There is then an Ethernet cable running from the cable box to the back of my PC.

When you have your cable service set up, you can probably ask the tech (of the person on the phone when you order the service) if they will run the cable connection into multiple room. Depending on whether you have a crawl-space, attic, or basement you may have cables running along the outside of the house, in the attic, crawl-space, etc and then ‘punched-down’ to the rooms you requested.

I am not a cable installer, but I know the theory and I have seen it done at several houses I have lived in.

Hope this helps.

My cable runs to the TV and the modem (via a splitter). The modem is attached to an AirPort Extreme. My PowerBook came with an AirPort card, and I installed one in my old iMac G3.

I have cable Internet service, and none of the cable outlets in my house are anywhere near where I like to use my computer. They’re all in the bedrooms and the living room, and I tend to use my computer in a nook off the kitchen.

So I have the cable modem hooked up to a wifi router in the guest bedroom. It’s up on a shelf, so it’s not in the way of any guests I may have, and it gives me good service throughout the house.

You can set it up pretty much anyway you want. The cable will come in from a wall somewhere and has to hook into a modem, but that’ll probably be easily hidden away in a corner somewhere. You can get wireless modems that then connect to your computer wirelessly or you can get wired ones. If you have multiple computers you will probably need to have your modem connected to a router, though i wouldn’t be surprised if you can get modems that have built in routers, ask your isp.

I use a wired one hooked into a wireless router that is then wired into a second router and several computers while also wirelessly hooked into a couple notebooks. The second router is in the same situation, wired and wirelessly hooked into several computers. I have to use two routers because the insulation(and probably the bagillion wireless gadgets) in my house absolutely kills the wireless connectivity. I explain my situation as an example of the fact that you can set it up pretty much anyway you want. It can be as simple as: wire goes to modem, modem connects to computer through wireless or wired, whichever you prefer. Or it can be a complex network of wires, routers, switches, computers, etc.

WARNING:

If you do not have cable routed to the location where you want to put the cable modem, do not let the cable installer run the cable for you. He will pick the easiest method, which could be a stupid and ugly route up the front of your house and then thru the wall. Cable installers, as a rule, do not do inside wiring.

One solution is to put the cable modem in a spot where you do have easy cable access, then connect to a cable modem router and use wireless or cat-5 wiring to bring network to your PC(s).

Another is to run cable yourself or hire electrician.

I have one suggestion. Instead of a modem and a router (wireless or wired), get one that is both in the same box. Less clutter, and it works the same way. The Linksys WCG200 is such an item: modem, wired & wireless. And wireless is certainly the way to go.

Whatever you do, don’t rent any hardware from the cable company. That’s like renting your phone and paying for it ten times over.

If you go wireless, however, make sure you turn the encryption on. An unsecured wifi connection is a passport to disaster.