Caesin is not dairy free, you fuckers!

nm

Jesus Christ, that guy is a fucking moron.

You sure? Because earlier you said…

Somebody working in a place that sells food would be expected to be yet more clued in

…which was pretty ridiculous. Stores that I go to have mentally challenged people working in them. They shouldn’t be expected to know things that are relatively advanced such as what proteins are in milk for the skills needed to stock shelves or mop up floors. Labels and ingredients lists are on packages for the consumers, not for store employees to explain possible medical issues to customers. People need to take responsibilities for themselves and not find an innocent party to blame for their own issues.

You must be reading a different OP than I am. Where are you getting that “the guy in the store” proclaimed something was free of an allergen? All we know of what the guy said is that he told the OP’s mommy that “there was no milk in the shredded cheese she was getting.” According to the OP’s story, the guy in the store was right.

nm

Are you a dairy cow? How’d you type all this with your hooves?

hajario & rejemy - Thanks for the links.

It seems that Whey is permitted in “beef patties” 1 and “beef patty mixes” as a filler ingredient.

1 - Whey is NOT permitted in products labeled as “100% Pure Beef” or “Pure Beef”.

See page 6 of this linked PDF file: http://www.beeffoodservice.com/FCMDocs/FBFS/FBeefU/FBeefUFactSheets/F09_PI-GroundBeef.pdf

According to the directions in the PDF, when used the ingredients would have to be included in the ingredients list. It is more reasonable to think that a frozen beef patty has been seasoned and altered in a way that it is no longer only beef (that term is itself a pretty loose term if you look at the various cow bits that are permitted in different beef products. But, rest assured that no cow product is allowed in excess of 25% cheek material… but they can use all the bum holes they can mush into some of them)

Anyway… I find it hard to believe that whey can be used without inclusion on the ingredients label because it is a proven common allergen and there are many people who must avoid it.

Yes, I’m sure. I would expect that they would be more clued-in about how serious food allergies can be, and that if a customer asks about a common allergen, they should know what they’re talking about before saying something is free of it.

I agree completely. I’m saying it for the third time now - there’s nothing wrong with the employee saying “sorry, I don’t know” or “afraid I can’t help you”.

Technically speaking that may be right - “milk” was not listed as an ingredient. But that doesn’t excuse the fact that the employee said something was free of milk without knowing what the ingredients in fact were.

I thought it was a reference to whipping cream and now here you’ve gone and thrown a beastiality spin on things… not that there’s anything wrong with spinning cows…

Could you really blame her? I’d go for a jury trial and bring this thread as evidence for self-defense or understandable temporary insanity.

That never happened and you have unreasonable expectations for the knowledge one would need to have to be hired for an unknown amount of time to do unskilled food store work.

I addressed that already. We don’t know that there was any reason to say "I don’t know. " “The guy in the store” said that a product had no milk in it. He was right.

You’re making assumptions. He either knew enough about what was not on the ingredients list or what was more likely, it was claimed somewhere on the front of the package to make the statement that he did. The product was free of milk. That was also his claim. You have unreasonably high expectations to get more data from a “guy in the store.”

Der??? Technically the employee’s answer was accurate.

I say we storm the store, demand the surveillance video for review. IF the employee claimed the food product to be hypoallergenic in any way… we hog tie him, slather him in honey and toss him onto a fire ant hill. That will teach minimum wage employees to not be polite and to stick to only grunts and vague hand gestures for communication.

Jesus Christ. How stupid are you? The clerk was 100% correct. It didnt contain milk. It contained a protein that is found in milk.

Bullshit. You may or may not have Celiac disease but you sleep all day because you’re up all night long on the Internet, evidenced by the timestamps on your many, many past whines in ATMB. You also sleep all day because per your many excuses du jour, you’ve been withdrawing from benzos and your sleep cycle is all fucked up.

Grow the hell up.

Maybe I’m missing something with the history of this poster, but what’s wrong with letting your mom cook you a birthday meal?

I am allergic caesin and react to it pretty quickly, usually in the form of itchiness-- though sometimes my lips/ tongue also swell up or I get sick to my stomach too. Either way, I’ve had this allergy my whole life and after 27 years, I’ve learned what triggers it. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll still go to town on some nachos or something, but I go in accepting I’ll be itchy and likely need to take some Benedryl.

Never would I think to myself, “Ah, cheese! Yes, I’m allergic to this thing in dairy, so I definitely should be able to eat this cheese with no problem!” Even if the store employee was wearing a lab coat and said, “No, but really! There’s no dairy! It’s fine!” I’d probably look at him all judgemental like and say, “But it’s cheese.” Like I said, in 27 years, I’ve learned cheese makes me itchy, so there’s no way I’m going to let a stock boy at a grocery store tell me something to the contrary.

Beyond that, though, even if there was perfectly dairy free cheese. . . why in the love of God would you want to eat it? That sounds terrible.

I understand food sensitivities and allergies because I have a couple of my own, but I didn’t hear much about celiac disease until quite recently. Is it the fibromyalgia or diverticulitis of 2013? A condition that actually affects some people but more claim it than have it? Because when some people (my SIL, f’rinstance) get to whining about the disease d’jour I start longing for the days when people who had it had the good graces to die. Or shut up and make their own dinner.

And the expectation that some stockboy knows that casein is made from milk is ridiculous. OTOH, if you are shopping for someone else and you don’t recognize something, don’t buy it or call the person and ask. And don’t mention lactose intolerance in front of me or by God, I swear I’ll tell you how I beat it. You have been duly threatened.

I don’t know why but I feel bad for the little guy. I imagine him all excited for a birthday treat and then the whole thing is ruined over a misunderstanding. It’s a shame.

Since when did we allow six-year-olds to post, though?

The party hat is a St. Paddy’s day bowler with glitter, BTW. In my head. Made me almost spit out my bourboned coffee on this fine Sunday afternoon.

And seriously, if BigT is in such a small town with such a small store, how does he not know exactly what brands and types of what they carry that he can eat? I eat vegan when not at home, and everything I buy from the store is vegan, including cheese when I really want some on my potatoes or something. I know exactly where it is and which to get, in three different groceries. If my mom were to go for me, I’d tell her, it’s the Galaxy brand, in the Purple packaging, NOT the green, and it’s in the produce section near the organic stuff, nowhere near the real cheeses.

Big Toddler, indeed.

Tell that to corporate America. I’ve worked a number of jobs where those very phrases were absolutely forbidden, you ALWAYS had to “help” the customer and if you didn’t know the answer you were supposed to make something up rather than admit ignorance.