Caesin is not dairy free, you fuckers!

This was exactly my experience. While “I don’t know. Goodbye!” <click> would indeed have been completely unacceptable, I can’t imagine any call center situation (outside of a boiler room selling worthless stocks to octogenarians) where they would want you to invent an answer to a question.

Those people should probably avoid telling others how to live their lives as well.

I was going to say this. Lactose intolerance is very common.

I can’t remember the details right now, but didn’t **Broomstick **have some other hilariously off-the-mark insights into “Corporate America” in the last year or so?

My call center experience is limited to directing callers at a financial services company, so there was no question of what to do when I didn’t know the answer. But I’ve worked several retail jobs, and my supervisors would’ve been furious if they’d caught me lying to customers. That kind of shit is bad for business — bad enough at a bookstore, surely worse when it could mean recommending products to which a customer is allergic.

I suppose I could see a retail employee being trained never to admit defeat with an “I don’t know”, but rather to continue searching for an answer as long the customer sticks around (escalating to management if necessary). Perhaps someone has misconstrued such instruction as being told to lie?

I had one brief period where an idiot middle-management had a "NEVER SAY “NO” (and that includes “I don’t know”–because “don’t”=“do not” and “not”=“no”. Geddit? :rolleyes: ) policy from something he’d read in a book.

During that period, the employees were told to say “Could I put you on hold while I research that more thoroughly?” or something to that effect…they couldn’t say “I don’t know”: those specific words. “I need to do some research” or “Let me check” or “I’m unsure” were fine. But apparently he thought the word “don’t”* was too negative. The policy lasted about 4 months and call times went up a bit…customers didn’t apparently notice at all.

But even this moron didn’t want us to just “make up stuff”, he just didn’t want you to say “don’t” or other “negative” words. “I AM unsure of that.” was just fine though…no negative word vibrations there.

*Or, as became a running joke on the floor, “That douchebag thinks that “know”=“no””

So am I understanding this right, you are from Spain?

So what you’re saying is that you can’t offer any real-world examples from the “many” jobs you’ve had where you’ve been told to lie to customers if you don’t know the answer? Is this hypothetical the best you can do?

Damn, this thread is turning into a snark deathmatch!

And I don’t know how unseemly vs. deserved it is to use BigT as a perennial pincushion – but if we’re the “jocks,” this board will never, ever make it to the playoffs.

Dayuuuum…when an eleven year poster with just over 300 posts to their credit decides to blow their bi-annual wad on you it is really saying something.

Do The Great Precognito’s power’s fail him? He cannot foresee whether this will be a floater or a sinker! The auguries are clouded! A little help for The Great Precognito, make haste and consult the entrails of a goat! Also we are out of bog roll!

IIRC, BigT doesn’t have a physical disability. Just an allergy. (Am I wrong?)

If I had ever lied to my customers in any of my jobs, my ass would’ve been out the door. And in my experience, most stockboys are teenagers, so he’d assume if something said “non-dairy” it meant it was okay. Hell, I wouldn’t have known WTF casein was.

I don’t know. But that doesn’t mean he might not have a “psychical” disability. Look at the evidence, after all.

BigT is trolling. He threw in all the crap he knows people make fun of him for just to get you guys to make fun of him some more.

You should be ashamed.

As a member of socieyt you owe to society to be upstanding patrons of society and making fun of poor littleT hurts society. Why do you hate the children?

Instead of saying his mother was making his birthday meal*, he should have said it was his ole lady. That would have added some cool points to the OP.

*This does seem like gratuitous detail. Maybe BigT is sneak trolling.

Just as an aside, there’s nothing in the OP about a birthday meal.

She went to “buy him food for his birthday”. She’s not cooking him a special birthday meal, she’s buying him groceries because he can’t/won’t leave the basement.

BigT, if you really have been diagnosed with celiac disease, you should really ask your gastroenterologist for some more information about your condition, because it has nothing to do with the colon.

Or, if you’ve self-diagnosed because gluten intolerances are the new, “fun” thing, then maybe you should just shut the hell up.

Yes, they were absolute hell holes, that’s why I don’t work there anymore. I totally agree their policies were stupid, but there you were.

At least now I work someplace where saying “I don’t know, let me find out” doesn’t get me penalized. I’m not a total idiot.

Likewise, I don’t work for people who “forget” to pay the employees, or who issue rubber checks, or demand unpaid overtime and other such happy horseshit. If you’ve never worked in such a cesspit consider yourself fortunate. They do exist.

Ok, so what do any of these cesspits have to do with “Corporate America?”

Is any topic on the thread immune from Spainjacking? Anything?