Cal Thomas vs Pat Robertson or They Eat Their Own

In a recent column Cal Thomas chides Mr. Robertson for being a hypocrit for owning a race horse.

The following quote sounds like something some posters here would say rather than from Cal. Gotta give him points for this:

The ethical theology, if I can call it that, adopted by the leading families of Virginia as to what’s acceptable and what is not, is intriguing. Pat, as most people who haven’t researched him out are not aware, is the son of a prominent Virginia politician, who coincidentally lost a race for a U.S. Senate seat to William Spong, the cousin of John Shelby Spong. (No wonder he’s interested in bloodlines!;))

I didn’t know Pat had gotten into the faith healing ministry (for people or horses).

It also shows that God has a sense of humor, that the hurricane he predicted for Gay Day at Disney World hit Virginia Beach instead.

Yeah, Robertson has been in the faith-healing scam business for many years. He’s one of the most despicable people in America – a man with his economic and educational background who earned a fortune by swindling poor, ignorant, gullible people.

Cal Thomas has far-right views, but he’s not a moral scum-bucket like Pat Robertson.

Well, Cal Thomas is a fundamentalist premillenialist and Pat Robertson is a pentacostal postmillenialist (or he acts postmillenialist, at least), so it’s not really a suprise they wouldn’t like each other. It’s not like, in general, fundamentalists are big fans of faith healing, speaking in tongues, and all that.

I think that Edgar Cayce correctly predicted that one.:wink:

Doesn’t he sell that Pat Robertson Miracle Tonic stuff on his show?

And, Pat, Pat-Pat baby! That plaid sports jacket has got to GO!

Into horse racing is he?

Wasn’t he also a director of Laura Ashley, the pre-raphaelite womenswear company? A fellow director (or part owner?) was/is a guy called Khoo Kay Peng - a Malaysian mega-millionaire who is a member of a very exclusive group of hyper rich Christians in that part of the world. And I think he tried to start up an Internet bank with Bank of Scotland.

Didn’t someone once say something about how you can’t serve both God and Mammon?

"Dr Robertson’s views on gays, women and liberals were considered by many to be unacceptable and the public outcry prompted him to label Scotland as a “dark land” over-run by homosexuals.

The Bank of Scotland severed its links with Dr Robertson, at a reported cost of around £2m to the bank. . ."

BBC website January 27, 2000

Not all, but some, tend to eat their own.

Or at the very least, kick them while their down.

Hello, Michie, good to see you. If you hang around here, I think you’ll come to like it. It will give you a good contrast to that other board. But be forewarned, things can get rancorous, especially here in the Pit. It can even get personal and much rougher language is tolerated in the Pit. Check out Great Debates for more vigorous debating. If you want something a little more friendly, check out the MPSIMS, IMHO and Cafe Society forums.

Also, some of the features you are used to are disabled here, most notably the edit feature. This is done so people can’t go back and change their words once they get called on something.

All in all, though, if you give it a chance, I think you’ll like it.

Hi Homebrew,
Thanks for the warm welcome.

I’ve lurked here on & off for about a year now.

After talking to Christina25 on the phone a few days ago I just decided to join.

If I get flamed, I just get flamed. :slight_smile:

Anyway, I look foward to getting used to the place & just being a regular poster. :slight_smile:

Michie

Not to hijack, but…

Hi, Michie! :slight_smile:

jayjay

Hi, Michie! :slight_smile: Er, a word to the wise, dear–the SDMB frowns on posting entire articles, due to copyright infringement. Just put a single paragraph and then include a link to the article so’s we can all go read it for ourselves. (Just Copy and Paste the URL from the Address Window, and the SDMB software will automatically make it into a link.) It’s Standard Operating Procedure here, we’re all used to having to go read articles for ourselves.

:slight_smile:

Hi Michie! Welcome to the SDMB.
As to the OP . . . I can do a little deconstruction.

As odious as I find Mr. Robertson, I don’t know that I see the hypocrisy. Ol’ Cal doesn’t cite Robertson decrying gambling, and while I’m sure he’s done so in the past, I find it an odd omission.

Secondly, Thomas ridicules Robertson for pretending that horse racing doesn’t involve gambling. He says, “It is shocking, SHOCKING, to learn that most other people go to the track to gamble. Who knew? All that praying turns out to have been for a horse to win, place or show.” Except that he doesn’t quote Robertson expressing any surprise at all. All Robertson says is, in essence, some people gamble, he doesn’t. Period.

Thirdly, the Deuteronomy reference is irrelevant. What on earth are you thinking, Cal? Oh, right, you don’t.

Fourthly, the usual Thomas arrogance and poison emerge this time in a holier-than-thou screed that “Some in evangelical Christian circles go to great lengths to avoid even the ‘appearance’ of sin.” And others don’t, Cal. You’re not better than anyone for having what you perceive to be higher moral standards. (Admittedly, I’m reading between the lines in the penultimate two paragraphs. I freely admit my now-obvious bias against Thomas.)

Finally, the last 'graph was . . . well, actually I liked the last paragraph. It was pretty unsupported, but that’s not a surprise with Thomas, who relies far more heavily on emotional appeal than evidence. Nevertherless, I laughed at it, dammit.

(Good catch, Goosie. For those who haven’t met Michie yet, she’s a wonderful source of some of the coolest and most interesting news articles and editorials. The Pizza Parlor, not being owned by a newspaper, can allow more leeway in posting copyrighted material, which is what Michie’s used to.

Just wanted to make sure no one thought DDG was chiding Michie or anything.)

Nah!
I wasn’t going to post articles here.

You guys have lots more action here.

I knew that was coming though! :wink:

Hi jayjay! :slight_smile:

Hi to everyone else!

Back to the op.

So my ancestral home is calling for me to return?

small hijack…I seem to have lost the URL for the Pizza Parlor…can some kind doper point me the way?

TIA

Hi, Michie from another Pizza Parlor poster.

Nothing useful to add to the discussion beyond that.

Regards,
Shodan

beagledave:

http://thebruces.stormbirds.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?forumid=3