Cal Worthington's jingle: What's the source?

I live in California, where Cal Worthington has had dealerships for many years. On TV in the last 25 years or so, his commercials include a jingle which goes, in part,
“When you come out on the lot
Better watch our for old Spot
If he gets a little hot
Go See Cal.”
I’ve heard the tune with other lyrics elsewhere, of course; and more recently on the Dr. Demento show there was a song titled “I Was Born Ten Million Songs Ago,” performed by Steve Bruce. But I don’t know the original tune’s title.

“If you’re happy and you know it clap your hands!” or something like that. It’s one of those stupid “participation” songs they make you sing at Summer Camp.

{{{“If you’re happy and you know it clap your hands!” }}}—PapaBear

:::Groan:::

Please! No more reminders of the lions, tigers, bears, chimps and cars on rotating platforms…been hatin’ that guy’s commercials for more’n 20 years now.

“Take the 605 to the 91 and off at Bellflower Boulevard–and you’re in Hell.”

Kalél
(The Original EnigmaOne)
Common ¢ for all ages.

Always with the babes and wild animals, was old Cal. Him and his white cowboy hat.
The one I always remember is: “Pete Ellis Dodge, Long Beach Free-way, Firestone Exit, Southgate; Pete Ellis Dodge, Long Beach Free-way, Firestone Exit, Southgate!!!”

I actually considered buying a car from Cal just so I could hold him to his promise: “I’ll eat a bug to sell you a new or used car or truck!”

So did he Papa?
Say, didn’t Cal go to jail for a few years some time back? I vague remember something along that line. Hmm

Good God! I remember Cal Worthington had a dealership in Anchorage, Alaska when I was up there in the Air Force back in the Old Stone Age. And yes, he had the same old cheesy song: “If you’re lookin’ for a deal, go see Cal…”
Actually, I’m shocked to hear the crooked old bastard is still in business.

{{{“Pete Ellis Dodge, Long Beach Free-way, Firestone Exit, Southgate; Pete Ellis Dodge, Long Beach Free-way, Firestone Exit, Southgate!!!”}}}—RTA

:::Writhing in agony:::

Remembering Cormier Chevrolet, Felix Ford and Toyota of Orange…

Chorus: No you won’t get a lemon,
Dupe: “I won’t get a lemon?”
Chorus: …at Toyota of Orange!"

"Honey! Where's the Phenobarb?"

------------------
--**Kalél**
(The Original **EnigmaOne**)
*Common ¢ for all ages.*

I just remembered the most pitiful ad slogan of all time, but i can’t remember if it was Yucca Valley Chrysler or Hi-Desert Ford Lincoln Mercury. The owner and his wife would appear onscreen with their trusty dog–IIRC it was a shepard mix–and say, “Give us a chance!”

Yeah, right.

Kalél
(The Original EnigmaOne)
Common ¢ for all ages.

I think he did go to jail, but I don’t know how long ago. I know he was in business in the 60s. His own website is www.calworthington. com and on it he says he has been in business for 52 years–and he looks it! Actually, I pity him, no matter how much money he has–you can’t buy off the Grim Reaper.
I heard about two Southern California dealers I think went to jail: The Yeakel brothers, and H. J. Caruso.
I heard another car-dealer jingle from the 60s or 70s, sung by actress Molly Bee *(The Chartroose Caboose): *
“Stanley, Stanley, Stanley Chevrolet
Two blocks off the Santa Ana Freeway
One-One-Nine-Eight-Oh, East Firestone
Stanley Chevrolet!” (followed by a sliding organ chord).
And: Is the camp song “stupid” because it doesn’t happene to be in today’s top 40?
Just because something isn’t ‘on the charts’ doersn’t make it “stupid.”

Excuse me–that should be: www.calworthington.com

To Pickman’s Model: Worthington still does have a dealership in Alaska!

Cal Worthington used to have a dealership in Houston in the 1980s. I always thought “Go see Cal” sounded too much like “Pussy cow.”

D’oh

Aieeeee! No! Make the jingles STOP! :wink:

The current loathesome jingle is the one for Cerritos Auto Square. I’ve decided that if I need a car, they’re the LAST place on earth I’m going.

Someday we’ll look back on this, laugh nervously, and change the subject…

This is great. I was born and raised in Northridge, but moved away in '78. I can’t believe these same jingles are still around.

Any of you guys remember Ralph Williams in Encino? I’ve got a license plate frame from there up in the attic. Heard once that it was worth a few bucks. Anyone got any info on that?

Therealbubba

I cannot believe Cal is still at it! He has been doing that same song forever. I remember he used to pronounce the car model/brand Celica (Selica? sp?) Ceelica. Weird.

Anyone remember the jingle for Colton Piano and Organ?

“Who would have thought we could have a piano…of our own?..”

I think they went out of business many years ago, but that damn jingle still haunts me.

I logged onto Worthington’s website and actually downloaded his dialog, with the song playing! Hey, I like it!
To the same tune (referring to a comical DJ on LA radio for many years):
Oh, let’s shed a tear for dear old Gary Owens
He is carrying our banner all alone
There is never going to be
No more Seventh Cavalry [!]
If you fool around with dear old Gary Owens!

“If you drive an automobile, please drive carefully–because I walk in my sleep.”–Victor Borge

Steven Bruce’s lyrics went something like this:
I was born about ten million songs ago
I’m the guy what first invented Rock ‘n roll
I saw Peter, Paul & Mary
Singin’ “Puff, the Magic Fairy”
And I’ll dose the guy who doesn’t like my show!
A verse went:
I told Goodman he should write about a train
I told Brian Wilson not to go insane
I taught high notes to Del Shannon
I had Fleetwood learn “Rhiannon”
And I tried to keep poor Buddy off the plane! [ :(]

“If you drive an automobile, please drive carefully–because I walk in my sleep.”–Victor Borge