Calculator for Statistics class.

I am starting a Statistics class and the instructor is is recommending a TI 83+ or 84. The problem is I did a lot of work (to 2nd semester Calculus) with my late, beloved, HP 32s that finally died after 20 years, and am loathe to give up RPN. Will the HP 50G have the functions to satisfy the requirements of the class? Thanks to any calculator maven that can answer!

Seeing as none of us know what the class covers, you might be better off asking your teacher.

She wasn’t familiar with the HP lineup and didn’t seem interested in persuing the matter. That’s why I asked for a calculator maven. Maybe someone who was familiar with both models and could say “Yes, the HP will cover the equivalent functions and will do nicely!” or “No, they are very different machines and you should stick with the TI.” or maybe even the unlikely “The TI is better anyway”. Statisticly, I think the last an unlikely choice. :smiley:

Something like that is actually what I was looking for. I didn’t really think the whole backstory was needed, but, now, here it is.

Realistically the HP one will probably cover all the same bases the TI one will. This possibility goes way up if this is a basic/intro to stats class (lookey there, you’re already learning statistics!). It appears that this is the TI-89’s competitor, which if that’s true, it should most definitely cover anything you’re likely to see in the TI. Just realize you’ll probably be flying solo when it comes to getting help as TI graphing calculators are easily the most popular.

The HP allows you to choose RPN or arithmetic input, so it might not be so bad to use in following along in class. I just learn where the function is on mine and ignore the instructor’s pointing.

I just don’t want to spend a chunk on a calculator that will actually hold me back in perhaps this class and certainly others I plan to take. I just like HP’s layout, build quality and RPN, so thanks, I think I will be safe. It is a bonehead course, from what I can tell.

This will be the textbook for what it is worth:

Bonehead Stat

I am taking this to get the old noodle, study habits, stuff like this, etc. in shape after a 20 year absence from school on my way to a CS or EE. I haven’t had time to bone up on the hard stuff and I always wanted to understand Statistics, so here I am. :slight_smile:

I took Statistics instead of College Algebra for my math credit, and used a TI-83, I believe, which I luckily had bought in high school. For what it’s worth, I think it would be worthwhile to use a TI in class, as getting to some of the options will then be common to the class. It’s like asking whether or not to use a different edition of a textbook - in most cases you’ll be fine, but when the teacher tells you to look at the chart on page 89, and your page 89 doesn’t have a chart, it becomes a bit difficult.

My professor made us do the first homework assignment the long way, then showed us where to go in the TI to cut out some of the busywork. Though we could use any calculator, she only gave information about the TI (and Excel).

I’m not a math person and I did pretty good, so I figure if I can pass it, anyone can. Good luck to you.

This may be a bit more IMHO, so I hope you don’t mind my answering it that way.

I used an HP all through high school. In college, I bought a TI. IMHO, the HP makes a superior product, and the functions (especially the ones you’ll be using) are nearly identical. However, I believe the HP has a more user friendly interface.

However, as mentioned above, in general, textbooks and class material is geared heavily towards the TI. So, the answer is basically, it’s up to you. If you don’t mind carrying the user manual around for your first class or two, and spending a bit of extra time looking up how to do things (which you could probably do while the instructor is talking about the TI), then by all means go with the HP.

I seem to recall that the HP was revamped from its earlier editions to include graphing, while the TI was designed as a graphing calculator. Please feel free to correct me if this is not the case.

Warning: You may or may not be allowed to use the book on a test. Ask first.

Disclaimer: I used a TI in all my upper level classes. I started by borrowing it for the first semester or two, and by the time I went to buy one I had already mastered their format.