Calculators

Sadly, if I want cash back when checking out at the grocery store where I shop, the cashier must enter the total of what I have purchased plus the cash back amount without any aid from the cash register. I have yet to find any cashier that can perform the simple addition in anything less than a minute and most of the time I get impatient and tell them the total and they are amazed that I can do the addition in my head.

These are people that are required to deal with money every day and there isn’t a single one of them that can function mathematically without the cash register. It’s also strange that they can’t just enter the amount that the customer wants in cash and have the register do the addition for them.

I totally agree that it is sad about the lack of actual math skills taught in our schools.

I’ve seen very few pocket calculators that can remember even six different ‘items’. Their ‘limits’ are built in to simplify the design, and are insurmountable. We can at least expand ours by dint of training our brains and using mnemonics.
Of course, if you’re talking about a true ‘pocket computer’, many of those can remember a lot more than seven plus or minus one items. :slight_smile:

Ok, hang on.

I have had a great deal of maths training. And I wasn’t allowed to use the calculator. But there is no way I can do four-digit math in my head.

Some people just are not set up for math. In the OP’s case that was easy, of course, and she should have been able to figure it out.

I can do percentages pretty easy, but trying to figure decimals or multiplying fractions or stuff like that in my head is very difficult.

On the other hand I have a fairly extensive vocabulary and can enunciate and express myself better than most people I know. When I really buckle down I can write beautifully. My talent lies in verbal, not maths, just like the SATs.

Basic maths - yes. The OP’s case - yes. But I’ve cashiered. And after 10 hours of standing on my feet and staring at the same screen I’m not about to rely on my own maths skills which I’ve already admitted are weak. Again, I’ve been taught quite well. I learned the concepts beautifully - but the application is a different matter.

For what it’s worth, I can’t do that.

Starting in high school, it was mandatory that we used graphing calculators (seriously, teachers insisted on it). Although I thought it was great at the time, I was screwed in the long run.

Going into college I took the math placement test where calculators were forbidden. Yeah, that made the Advanced Algebra and Statistics sections really, really fun. Ironically, I got sent back to the math class before Stats (there were four levels of remedial math…in my defense, I was in the highest :wink: )— where all the work was done on a computer/calculator and NOTHING was done by hand.

To contribute to the “dumb as rocks” cashier story:

Years ago I was doing some last minute Christmas shopping, and I needed to get three stocking stuffers. I picked out three items the were each around five dollars. I don’t remember the exact amounts, but let’s say they were $5.19, $4.99, and $4.79. I can’t add that in my head, but I’m pretty sure that around five bucks times three is around fifteen bucks.

Not so, said the cashier. She wanted to charge me $45.21, because that’s what it said on the register. I tried appealing to her sense of logic and simple fuzzy math. She insisted that the calculator was right, and told just to pay what I owed and get out. I stood my ground, and insisted that she ring it up again. She finally did, and then said “I’m sorry sir, you were right. That’ll be $30.57.”

NO! It should be around $15, not $30. Moron.

She at long last agreed to ring it up a third time, but by then I was clearly a trouble maker determined to rob the store blind. At least on the third try she got it right.

To her benefit, it was the holiday rush. I understand that’s hell in retail.

I think I’ve posted this before, but it’s the story I always give for this topic. I was out playing golf, and I bought a drink for two dollars. I gave the cart girl a ten. She pulled out her calculater and entered:

and gave me my change.

LOL, well the only thing that is really important is to “fly the airplane” but I was thinking more along the lines of making an instrument approach with an failing engine and stuff and such. The need to keep a lot of different info in the front compartment can be very important to survival IMO. I used to fly some pretty bad junk and you had to be really aware of its limitations at all times. Your experiences and opinion may vary.

Maybe I don’t really remember over 7 things at a time, I’ll study on it. By the time I was in the 6th grade, I could multiply three digit numbers ( 345 X 672 ) in my head faster than the other kids could do it on the blackboard in class room contests. :: shrug :::

Word. (hee hee)

I’m by no means stupid, but my strength is not maths and numbers. I don’t look down on math geniuses because they can’t spell their way out of a wet paper bag; please show us verbals the same respect.

(That was aimed at Derleth et al, not **Anaamika, by the way.)

Oh, I should also say that I don’t use my lack of math skills as a crutch, either; I have made serious efforts to maximize what native ability I have.

Strictly speaking, pocket calculators shouldn’t need to deal with numbers larger than ten or so. Few garments are so extreme as to posess more than ten pockets. So fingers ought to be sufficient even for today’s children, shouldn’t they?

We all double check our resteraunt totals right? I find errors well over 10% of the time. Often in my favor, so I assume this doesn’t indicate deliberate gouging.

Drive up window, burger and 'rings came to $5.18. Pulled up to window, gave girl 10.00 and dug 18 cents out of the ashtray. Yup, needed to use a calculator. Got the wrong answer first time, had to do it again, and then once more just to be sure.

Actually, I find that giving them that .18 or whatever, nearly always causes an “unexpected exception” crash.

It used to be common for gas stations to give .04/gal discount for cash. Guy at the corner station was always amazed that I could make it come out to exactly $10 after the discount. (Back when giants walked the earth, we had purely mechanical pumps that could only handle the one price)

Finally he asked how I did it. “Well, the pump displays how many gallons, so I multiply that by four, and pump that many cents over 10.00, then I take the new gallons and repeat the process…It only takes one iteration, because after that, the additional gas is less then a quart, so it doesn’t change the total”

“You multiply by four? In your head? and we sell by the gallon, not by the quart”

“Actually, I multiply by two, twice”

“Oh, I see, because two plus two is four!”

“yeeeeeeah, something sorta like that”

Golf story above points out the fact that NOT being able to do it in head, or with a pencil, means that you don’t even know how to do it half efficiently when a calculator IS available.

Working retail in college, I had a manager who insisted that I couldn’t possibly come up with the right answer for “total with tax” using:

TWT= (1+taxrate(pre-decimalized)) * price,

and that the only right way was:

TWT= [taxrate(in %)/100] * price + price.

Oh yeah, he was sure it would come out wrong if you didn’t put in the " point zero zeros" too. He also thought I was thick because I was slow and deliberate when using a non-RPN calculator as supplied by store.

Same manager insisted that 25% off sale + 10% employee discount was same as 35% off. Couldn’t understand how I came up with 32.5%, Insisted register was wrong when it agreed with me…he’d also bitch at me for counting back the change the (ONE AND ONLY!) right way. I’d punch amount tendered into the register, but then count it back to customer as a double check. I’d also prompt customers for change so as to reduce calls for coins, ones, etc.

It was fun to screw with him…the store was in an area where I’d been a paper boy for several years and worked in a pharmacy for a couple more. I had him thinking I was a mind reader when I’d just write a customers name, and then thier address on the refund forms without asking them. (refunds required his approval, so I’d always page him before starting) Customers would sometimes freak out, but I’d always give my secret up to them after Steve was out of earshot.

Counter story: I lived in Austria (Alps, not 'roos) for a while. Kids there still learn basic arithmetic. They are, in fact, better at it than I am… every last one of them over 10 yrs. old I think. Kids waiting table would scribble down the prices of 8-10 items (from memory usually) multiply in thier heads (eg. 3 rolls at OS.35 each) and add them up in maybe 5 seconds. Never caught a single mistake, and they pretty much expected that you’d be checking. If the VAT had not be inclusive, I doubt they would have used a tax table. The few times I did see a calculator used, they looked as retarded as I do with a non-RPN unit.

At work, we need to mark some shipping charges up by 20%. One of our members said we could either multiply by 1.2, or we could multiply by .12 and then add that to the original figure.

I wasn’t allowed to use an electronic calculator before high school because they didn’t exist — at least, not at an affordable price. People I know who are my age or older also have grown completely as dependent on those little things as the kids all of you are rightly making fun of, so I doubt banning them from schools until high school (or whatever) will really make a difference. I can still do some simple arithmetic in my head, but only because I make the effort to do so. If you don’t make the effort, you must use a crutch.

For less than 3 times that I can get a whole carton(200 cigs) of generics.

Before the tax hike it January a carton cost only $11.00 here so I have been complaining about $18.00. Please tell me thats for name brand cigs.

It doesn’t really matter if it’s brand name or generic here - the price is so high due to the sin taxes. Same with booze. Smoking alchoholics would really have a hard time moving here. :smiley:

If the total for something is $1.77 and I give the cashier two singles and two pennies, half the time they stare at the pennies and try to hand them back. The other times, they enter 2.02 and hit amount tendered. They’re usually amazed that this results in a single coin for my change. I defuse the star-struckness by muttering something about “hrm, need the quarter for laundry…”

Another is tipping 15 or 20%. Taking ten percent of a figure is really, really easy. Double it for 20%, add half it for 15%. Or, if in Illinois, double the tax.

Sadly, I’ve seen a diminishing quality in the ability of pump operator trainees to do simple math in their heads. Simple questions like: You have x pressure from a hydrant, and you charge a 200’ 1 3/4" water line with a task force tip. What should your discharge engine pressure be to flow 200 GPM from that line, and how many more equally sized lines can you open with safety if your compound gauge drops 40 PSI? Some of theses folks look positively befunkled. :frowning:

An old friend of mine tells the story of when he bought a pen at a stationery shop having a store-wide sale, 15% off I think it was. The salesclerk works out the discounted price with a calculator and it comes out more than the original price. Without blinking (or, presumably, thinking) she asks him for the higher price, and was completely unabashed when he pointed out the discount really had to make the pen cheaper, not more expensive. So he gives her the actual price out of his head and she says “Oh yeah. I did it a different way”. Yeah, that’d be different in the sense of completely and obviously wrong, you dodo! :smack:

As another example of this problem, I will go to my favorite coffee place and order something where the total comes out to $5.75. I will give the cashier $10.75 or $11.00 with the expectation that I will get back a $5 bill. Not with most cashiers, they will give me back the one or two singles that I gave them and then give me change that ends up including five $1 dollar bills. I will then be polite and say "Gee, can I have a $5 bill for the five $1 dollar bills? Must be the new math thing!
:wally :smack:

We are, most definitely, twins. I can get a mental block with the simplest of arithmetic. Numbers scare me, letters are friends.

On the other hand, when I was working a cash register, I made up change the old fashioned way. At first, it’s counter-intuitive, but you start from the smallest denomination instead of the largest, and you work up. Doing this, I could make change from any total up to any amount tendered, without doing any arithmetic beyond the simplest of adding. Given the Australian denominations (at the time) of 1c , 2c ,5c, 10c, 20c, 50c, $1, $2, $5, $10, $20, $50, $100, I’d be able to ring up an item for say $3.12, the customer gives me $20, and I made up change from the bottom up thinking to myself as I did it: “…and 1c makes $3.13 and 2 is 15, 5 is $3.20, 10 is 30, 20 is 50, 50 is 4 dollars, and a dollar makes 5, 5 makes 10, and 10 is $20”. Then I’d repeat this verbally as I counted the change back into the customer’s hand. And I’d not feel I’d done any maths.