Perhaps this should be in the pit, but I just can’t muster enough bile to make it worth my while. Also, there’s a good chance that at some point it will contain kitty pictures and I think those are frowned on in the pit.
This past weekend my boyfriend and I took his mother to the Cochrane Humane Society and the Calgary Humane Society to choose a cat. While we were at the Calgary Humane Society (CHS) the BF met a super cool cat named Taz that he fell in love with. Taz is 12 years old and was an owner surrender - the BF and I both spent some quality time with him and we decided that we should adopt him. Taz will live at my house (BF is 90% moved in now) and be a good companion for Schatzi, the 18 year old cat that I recently acquired.
BF went in on Sunday to complete the adoption procedures - we filled out the household questionnaire and he took it with him - it asks about the household, and other animals and children and whatnot. We were totally honest and indicated that my dog is not fixed. Now, before anyone starts a debate about fixing dogs, let me state up front that I know the benefits of getting a dog fixed. I’ve consulted with Voltaire’s vet, and while he would prefer that I get him fixed, he agrees that in my particular circumstance it’s not mandatory. Voltaire is never exposed to other dogs unattended - we don’t go to puppy parks or off leash areas, and I live in a condo - if he manages to get out of the condo into the wild blue yonder it means that he’s leapt of the balcony and is going to have far more pressing concerns than gettin’ some - namely the full body cast that he’s going to require.
Anyhow, we indicated that Voltaire is not fixed, but Schatzi the cat is. The CHS told BF that he wasn’t allowed to adopt Taz because Voltaire isn’t fixed. Now, I’m not a biologist, but I think I can state with reasonable certainty that my male dog is not going to get a fixed male cat pregnant. Fine sez the CHS, but we think all animals should be fixed. Great, however I’ve discussed the issue with my vet and he agrees that in my particular case it’s not necessary. Tough shit, says CHS, no cat for you.
We discuss the issue and CHS says that if I book an appointment for Voltaire to be neutered, and pay for it up front, we can adopt the cat. Fine - we indicate that we’ll do this, and please put Taz on an overnight hold. They agree that they will. I contact my vet. I book the appointment. BF stops by and puts in a deposit for the surgery. We return to the CHS yesterday.
Well, Taz has not been put on hold. Why? Because CHS assumed that there’s no way in hell that we would return for him. So, CHS was prepared to hold up the adoption of a 12 year old cat because my dog isn’t fixed. I don’t know how much folks know about HS adoptions, but take my word for it when I say that 12 year old ANYTHINGS don’t exactly fly off the shelves. There’s a substantial reduction in the adoption fee for an older animal for just this reason. So, CHS was prepared to have an animal put to sleep, rather than sending it to a home with an un-fixed dog.
That is dumb. Look, I get the point - I understand why CHS has policies about such things; however, I also think that when it comes to adopting out animals they should have the foresight to look at individual circumstances in order to place the most animals. My home is an excellent place for an elderly cat to live out his retirement years. He’ll get tones of attention, he has a fellow elderly cat to grouse about young whipper-snapper kittens with, and he’ll have a dog to pick on with the other cat. We’re talking cat nirvana here. But because my dog still has boy bits, CHS isn’t interested.
So, I contacted my vet. I made the appointment for Voltaire. BF placed a deposit (FWIW, the vet’s office staff were shocked that CHS would require such a thing. “But they’re different SPECIES!?!?!?!” were the gal’s exact words I think.) We got the receipt, went in and picked up Taz last night. He’s now in his new home, living it up, lying on the uber fluffy kitty pillow that BF purchased for him, playing with the variety of kitty toys that I purchased for him, and generally enjoying life much more than he was at the shelter, for sure. And guess what? Tomorrow I’ll most likely cancel Voltaire’s appointment and use the deposit for his next check up instead. I’m pretty confident that the CHS does not have the staff necessary to do spot checks on the state of my dog’s balls.
So CHS, you are dumb. You were willing to hold up the adoption of an unpopular animal into a good home because of policy. You were unwilling to consider the particular circumstances and instead forced BF and I to jump through a bunch of hoops which are useless anyway. Had we lied on the form to begin with, we would have avoided this whole mess and you would be none the wiser. Instead we had to lie later and involve my vet’s office, which I’m not particularly happy about. There is the possibility that I’ll still get my dog fixed - I’ve been thinking about it. However, I really think that the decision should be mine and my vet’s, and not yours - an entity that has never met my dog, assessed his living conditions, or assessed the home that Taz will have in my home balled dog or no balled dog.
So, there you go. I have no doubt that many people will be unimpressed with my “rant” because my dog has balls. However, before you jump down my throat please remember that there is now a senior kitty living in a good home where he will be spoiled rotten, rather than in a crappy shelter where he would most likely wind up put to sleep.
That is all.