California gender classifications

University of California, Irvine covers it in their insurance plan, although I don’t know how much coverage they give. I know of a librarian there that had it covered. Azadeh is working to get it covered for students as well.

No, I’m afraid that is just not so. If it’s a question of having the other gender identity, that’s a transgendered/transsexual person. If it’s a cisgender identity, that’s CD.

As I have recently come to understand it, the word “transvestite” is considered obsolete nowadays, having been replaced by “cross-dresser” to sound less pejorative. You know a lot of that terminology shifting comes up whenever people try to talk about a stigmatized group.

That’s what I’ve heard. A male-identified heterosexual thing.

Transgender did not come as a sexual fetish to me. In fact, it even put my libido up on blocks for about 11 months. It was the most unsexy thing that ever hit me. I’d been conscious of female identity in me for a very long time before I started the women’s wear, and when I did it was because I realized I’d already crossed the boundary and needed to bring my expression into consonance with my sense of self. Instead of sexual pleasure, I got existential pleasure from it. That’s why au fond I don’t find any commonality with CD as it’s been explained to me. I admit I may be mistaken, since I don’t understand it well. I’m here hoping to give my ignorance the old Straight Dope treatment.

What is it, some sort of high concept? (I call “high concept” whatever doesn’t make intuitive sense to me, as the author seems to have gotten ideas by smoking pot. Just kidding.) Method Acting? Camp?

At a party, I had a conversation with a friendly bisexual woman. She kept telling me how much she likes “transgender and cross dressers.” She always said the two things together, which sounded odd to me because I don’t think they have much in common really. Then I realized from her point of view, she can’t tell the difference at a glance when she’d only just met me. She was careful to include both terms to make sure she didn’t leave out the right one by mistake. However, I do not want to be confused with something that I have no part of. It’s a bummer always having to tell people I’m a “she” instead of them figuring it out for themselves. I think as my transition progresses the problem should start to get better. I’m still new at it.

Wikipedia told me the definition that I always heard. Here’s what they say:

I suppose my use of “as” makes it sound like I am saying that transvestites identify as the opposite sex which isn’t true and wasn’t what I was trying to say. I will stick with official definitions now on to avoid any confusion.

It depends on who you talk to. I’ve always heard what wikipedia states about cross-dressers:

People cross-dress for different reasons.

As wikipedia notes in the transvestite section

We are hijacking this thread, so if you wish to discuss it more, I suggest we start up a new thread.