Californians, getting an earthquake kit ready?

Discussing with my brother we’ve decided we needed to update our family’s earthquake kits. You know, food, basic med kits, water, etc. My wife and I are also making copies of important paperwork. I also need to dig through all my military shit and pull out what’s usable. I also have this nifty small battery that charges a laptop for four hours or recharge your phone like, seven times.

Where I’m located in California if there’s a big one and takes out our freeway, we’re fucked for a long while, so we need some things.

Yeah, kinda thinkin’ about it. But we’ve been kinda thinkin’ about it for most of a decade now…

I used to live in California, earthquakes happened. I was stationed in places where hurricanes and typhones happened. I now live in a place where wildfires happen. In my experience, its better to be over prepared than under.

My advice is to pack playing cards, paper and pens. Books are heavy and take too much room, tho I do have one in my Grab And Run Away bag.

Toilet paper takes a lot of room, but is very light and could probably be traded for stuff when you are the only one with any.

Female supplies could also be a good source of black market income. We don’t usually think about them during times of running away…but when we need them, we really NEED them!

I’ve got carriers for all of my cats. I’ve got gallon ziplock bags of their food in the carriers. Their shot records are in the copies of important papers I have in my GARA bag.

I’m staying with my parents in the Bay Area at the moment, and we’ve talked about it. We decided on a good meetup spot in case of separation the other day, and my sister is coming up with a list of things we need to have on hand.

We’re about 20 miles from the San Andreas, and right on top of the Hayward Fault Zone, so it’s pretty bad we don’t already have all that set.

OK, now I’m going to stop with the lame jokes and start with the serious advice.

If you think you will need a GARA bag, you won’t be able to carry water. You can carry one of those mini filters that will take a while to filter, or pack water purification tablets.

Your bag should also have high density food, with lots of protein. Don’t worry about your diet now, if you are sleeping in rubble, you will need the extra fat. I carry cliffbars in my bag. MRE’s are a very good option.

Remember your meds. If you think you will soon need to GARA, be sure that you have refilled your script and have a paper copy in your bag.

Cash money is always a good thing.

We are going to be a civilized as Japan, so no need to talk about guns and ammo (which is pretty heavy)

If you are able to stay at home, you can use a garbage bag to line your trash can and hopefully fill it with water. You won’t want to use your drinking water to flush your toilet.

Be sure you have enough kitty litter. This thread has made me realize that I only have a 1 week supply:smack:

Search for previous threads on bug-out kits and emergency supplies. If you live in California, you need to be prepared for all sorts of natural (and un-natural) disasters.

You were in the military? To quote one of my ex-work colleagues: “I don’t need to stock up for the earthquake, I’ve got guns at home.” A big scary knife à la Crocodile Dundee will also serve.

Yup, four years in the Air Force. I have all kinds of cool-guy shit in boxes that I need to dig through.

By coincidence, my wife and I were talking about getting together an earthquake kit this evening.

We’re pretty well set, although I think we could use more water and more canned or dried goods personally.

We live on top of the Rodgers Creek Fault, that area of black showing very violent shaking in the event of a 7.1? Our house sits right in the middle of the black line.

I occasionally wonder if I should worry more here in Sacramento, but usually I don’t. We’re more likely to get a flood when the levee goes…

I started a disaster kit about a year ago but unfortunately didn’t get any farther than water, juice and peanut butter. But yesterday I did print out a voucher to get free potassium iodide tablets for the family. Potassium iodide is used to protect the thyroid gland in case of a nuclear accident. And since we live about 10 miles away from a nuclear power plant…built on the coast…next to two fault lines…:eek:

Realized that the container in the garage is in the wrong place and stuff that is in it needs to be updated.

Yep, working on it. And you need more than one kit.

I was thinking about this just the other day; living in a place where we get two things - thunderstorms that might have tornadoes in summer and bitterly cold winters - we really aren’t prepared for anything except cold winters. We have all kinds of infrastructure in place to make sure that the food trucks keep rolling all winter long, but if they stopped, we’d all be majorly hooped. I’m kind of thinking it’s unrealistic to not bother preparing any kind of emergency kit - shit does, indeed, happen.

Have one already. We have a water filter that we take camping, so assuming we can find a source of freshwater we would be fine.

Four is more like it:

Base kit - non-portable. This is the cache of supplies around the house. It should include food for the family for 72 hours minimum (ours is more like 30 days), 30-50 gallons water, medical/hygiene supplies, cooking equipment and fuel, repair materials and tools, communications gear and defensive equipment.

Automotive kit - food, water, clothes, tools, money, shelter and weapons. This is the “caught at work” or “caught during commute” kit.

Bug-out kit - backpack with basics

Personal kit - always carried. Knife, multitool, weaponry of choice. My wife found me a belt that has a multitool buckle as well.
That’s just for everyday in SoCal. If I was feeling paranoid, I’d escalate from there (and I have.)