Calling all phlebotomists!

Long story short is that my mother has been in poor health over the last ten years or so. She has had cancer three times and two years ago she landed up in intensive care after she could not stop vomiting up blood. She has been employed through the duration of her illness but understandly has been off sick for various period throughout. She has now left her job as a nurse and has got a new one as a phlebotomist. Problem is she is extremely nervous about it and has asked me for help. Me being my usual smart ass self said that it was easy and will come over and tell her the basics to get her through her training.

Problem! I thought by a simple search on google I could find all I needed and could blag my way unfortunately I was wrong. :frowning:

I want to help my mum because she doesnt want to feel or look stupid. its really important to me that she starts her new job feeling confident and happy.

The only thing I can find is that a phlebotomist needs to be friendly and would beneficially have a few GCSE’s yadda yadda yadda. I think what she wanted me to tell her was what the basic things you need to know are. e.g what colour needle gets used for different testing.

Basically I’m looking for what basics she will need to know and if anyone can direct me to any good info sites.
Any help would be greatly appreciated! :slight_smile:
ps. mods feel free to move this if Ive put this thread in the wrong place!

Everything you asked will be covered in her training.

I’ve worked with research nurses who had to get and keep their IV qualification for clinical trial work and they didn’t have any problems (except finding time to maintain their certificates).

I’ve been sticking people for years, and have worked with nurses, some of whom were good, others who were poor sticks. As Szlater points out, everything she needs to know will be covered in training. Here in the Excited States of America, phlebotomists do not have to have special education, and can learn on-the-job.

I have noticed that nurses who can set IV catheters have some trouble with phlebotomy because the technique between there are some differences between the two techniques. The preferred veins for drawing blood are in the ante-cubital fossa(e), or along the back of the hand if the patient’s AC veins are not accessable.

If she’s ever had to wrestle with a foley cath, she will do fine with a 16ga needle and vacutainers. After the 10th stick, she’ll feel like a pro.

Vlad/Igor, MT(ASCP)