A few comments:
[QUOTE=anson2995]
I think it’s a perfectly reasonable concern to raise. Don’t knock the guy’s point just because he has a low post count.
[/quote]
I agree.
[QUOTE=anson2995]
The question of whether it is legal to use GPS or other technology to track another individual without their knowledge is a matter that is unsettled in the law. [text relating to use by law enforcement omitted]
There is also clear legal precedent in cases where the GPS systems are installed in cars by the owner of the vehicle, for example rental car companies. Cases in Connecticut, New York, and California (to name a few) have helped establish limits for using tracking devices in vehicles without the knowledge of the driver. (see this findlaw article for cites of specific cases).
[/quote]
I question what you seem to be saying (or at least implying) here. (I’ve omitted the law-enforcement stuff, because that’s not involved in the situation presented by the OP – my comments are focused on the installation of GPS or similar electronic tracking devices by the owner of a vehicle.)
I’m unaware of any law that would prevent an owner or co-owner of a vehicle from installing such equipment. And, of course, in the absence of such a law, the legality of a vehicle owner’s installation of equipment on his car seems fairly obvious. Legally, it’d be no different than a decision to install a loud novelty horn, or neon undercarriage lighting. (In other words, in poor taste, or questionable in an ethical sense, but not illegal.) So I’m not seeing how you can say that the law is unsettled.
Your cite deals only with car rental companies using data from GPS devices for specific purposes – charging excessive penalty fees for speeding, for example. Nothing cited prohibits the company from installing the device, or using it to track movements of the vehicle. The case simply said that the fees could not be charged, under general contract/commercial law principles. And that has nothing to do with the OP’s situation.
Where we need to look, I think, is not commercial law, but privacy or criminal law. So I agree that looking to Iowa’s anti-stalking statute is worthwhile. It’s at least possible that a state’s stalking law would apply.
Here’s the statutory section that you cite: http://nxtsearch.legis.state.ia.us/NXT/gateway.dll/moved%20code/2005%20Iowa%20Code/1?f=templates&fn=default.htm
However, I’m not seeing that installation of a GPS device by one spouse in the family car would be a violation. Not by itself, anyway. Can you show me what language led you to suggest that this might be a violation of the law?
(Note: I am aware of at least one case where, as part of a much larger pattern of stalking, an ex-boyfriend secretly installed a tracking device on his target’s car, which he didn’t own. I agree that this may very well be illegal. But that’s not the situation here, at least as far as we know.)