Calling people by the name on their name tag. Do you do it?

Well, I wouldn’t have a problem with it if I did have to wear one. I think we can extrapolate our position without having to actually wear one.

Anyway, I do walk around with corporate ID around my neck, with my picture and first name and last name, plus a separate dosimeter badge with my picture and first initial, middle initial and last name. So, I’m not completely anonymous. Of course these are for health and security reasons though.

Precisely this on all counts.

I’m the reason that my co-workers and I now have name tags; I pushed my boss to get them for us despite the fact that we are technically not employees of the facility (our jobs are contracted with the facility). So yes, Czarcasm, please call me by the name I’m displaying.

BTW, no one is forced to wear their name tag, yet everyone does and many have said how much they like having them, as it presents a name to both patrons and fellow staff members we might not have met before (there are thousands of employees here).

I worked at a grocery store, and I hated people calling me by my first name. Mainly because whenever someone did I assumed it was someone I used to know, and I would spend the rest of the day trying to figure out who they were.

I find that an employee walking by is more than likely to respond to their name rather than saying “excuse me” or “hey you”. If an employee is particularly helpful I will thank them by their name when we part ways. That way when I check out and the cashier asks if anybody helped me, verbally saying the name helps me to remember.

Yes, this. Or asking another employee to fetch the one you’ve been dealing with.

Addressing somebody by their first name is a sign of familiarity, and is, thus, supposed to be a privilege extended by the person in question.

I don’t do it, and if I don’t know you and you are a customer where I work, I feel like the name tag is there as a reference point, not so you can act like you know me personally and use my name to address me.

Some people find this attitude harsh but I don’t like people who don’t know me calling me by my name as if they do.

I usually thank the grocery checker or bag person by name but don’t make a big deal out of it, just “Thanks, Jim”. They seem to kind of light up just a bit and appreciate the sentiment.

It’s the same with the cafeteria ladies here at work. I say hello to them all by name every morning and not only do they seem to appreciate it, some have looked back at my security badge so they can call me by name too.

Well said. In my nametag-wearing days, I used to switch tags with the nearest willing coworker.

As a person who has had (and still has) a job that requires me to wear a name tag and hating it when people call me by my first name because of it, I don’t do it to other people when I am a customer. It’s not my choice to wear the frickin’ thing.

Yes, and it drives my daughter (11yo) crazy.

When I’ve been served well by a friendly clerk who is wearing a name tag, I thank them by name. When I used to wear a name tag and someone took the time to thank me personally for my help or whatever, I appreciated it.

This reminds me of when a salesguy asks your name, and keeps referring to you by name over and over again. Nobody talks like that! In real conversation, you pretty much *never *say the name of the person you’re talking to. Doing so seems artificial, especially when you’re reading it off a name tag.

Indeed. It just feels awkward, at least if you’re on the receiving end of the discussion.

When customers call me by my first name, when they don’t know me, it is weird to me. It seems like the professional relationship I have with them is being treated as something more than that, like they think they are acquainted with me more than they are.

corporate overlords might force their subjects to wear nametags doesn’t negate societal “rules”

Corprate overlords, heh, heh, heh.

I worked at a garage. Just me and the guy that owned the garage. The only place he’d ever worked, starting as a teen and buying it from the previous owner. Beer drinker and square dancer.

We both wore name tags on our uniform shirts. Corporate overlords, heh, heh, heh.

I wear a name tag when working certain events. It has my full name and title on it. Very few people even bother to look at it - it is more a way of defining me as staff rather than customer/patron. Sometimes I’ll get some old dear who has been attending our events for decades peering at the tag to determine if they should know me, wondering which one I am. Then they forget about me entirely and want to chat about my predecessor.

i went into a store and Mr. Trainee was super friendly and provided good service.

“I feel like the name tag is there as a reference point,”

Sure okay - a reference point to what? Could it be to your name? If not…why not?

If the tag said ‘#5027502’ would you feel the need to address the person as ‘5027502’, or would you realize that they only reason they have an identifying number is so that you can make a complaint/compliment to the management, or identify the person who has been serving you?

Only a socially inept cretin refers to a person that they are not actually on familiar terms with in a familiar way.

Same here.