Can a six foot high plywood "fence" prevent cats from jumping over?

The neighbors we had when I was a teenager had a big black tom, who I watched, any number of times, jump straight up onto the top of their refrigerator, without scrambling or even a running start. I do think, as others have noted, it would take a strong and athletic cat, but I find it completely feasible.

My overweight girl cat got out one day and had no issues at all climbing that.

But my suggestion is to keep the visitor cats locked in one room, with food, litter, water, etc. Do you have a guest room?

Dont let them out.

No vertical leap at all in that video. Completely different, don’t you agree? The human high jump record is a third of the long jump record, for instance.

Why is it 8 pounds in British Amazon but $75 in American Amazon?

You probably saw something like this

It doesn’t land on top of the fridge. It just has a very smooth “scramble”.

That’s what they said about Homo habilis.

Perhaps so. All I know is that the cat had no issue at all getting on top of a 6’ tall fridge, even if he had to push off partway up. When I see mention of “scramble” (or “scrabble”) in this context, I picture a cat having to claw its way up, and not making a graceful jump (even with a push off on the way up).

But, back to the OP’s question: as others have said, a 6’ tall barrier is no barrier for an athletic and/or determined cat.

No vertical jump in one video.

I totally agree that six feet of plywood is nothing for any cat in decent shape. My cat goes over our 6 foot fence every damn day in the summer time. Lol.

Good point. Or not. Should I look up other videos or something? Cats can’t land “perfectly alight” on something taller than 5’. Prove me wrong… youtube should provide all you need.

I honestly can’t tell if you’re playing games here. You reposted the 2nd video, which was a vertical leap. I get that you won’t agree that it has any bearing at all, but there are two videos, one of which is a vertical leap, which you then used in your own post. I’m going to leave it alone here.

Here’s an F1 Savannah doing a pure vertical jump.

She swipes something at the extreme edge of her reach 8 feet above the ground - I’d guess that would probably equate to a clean jump to getting her entire body onto a surface 6 feet above the ground in a clean jump.

But this is the pure vertical limit for an F1 savannah, i.e. 50% serval, significantly bigger and more athletic than a typical domestic cat. Like @FigNorton, I’m skeptical that any normal-sized domestic cat can jump cleanly onto the top of a fridge at 6 feet.

Oh, I only saw your first video. The video I posted shows a cat making it 2/3rds up the fridge and pushing off from the top of the fridge door with it’s back feet to finish over the whole unit. What do you see?

The video you posted is my first video.

Well, you’re watching your video wrong. Lol.

You video is obviously not a clean jump onto the top of that fridge.

I’m pretty sure I don’t see the cat push off the top of the fridge door, given that the cat is jumping up the side of the fridge, not the front.

Perhaps we’ve lost track of the original context here, but I was thinking of a “clean jump” as something that would not be interfered with by something like an overhanging plastic pipe attached at the top of the vertical surface, something that would inhibit the grab with the front paws and scramble with the rear paws.

The side with a million magnet souvenirs is the front, which is what the cat is jumping up.

And I missed your first link, @eschrodinger because it didn’t render into a youtube window for me. Only saw the long jump as a YouTube link.

Eta: how is this a debate? Watch the cat’s back feet halfway through it’s jump. They clearly push off the fridge. Very clearly.

I won’t try to feed you any BS, we need incontrovertible video evidence. It is true that in many of the obvious YouTube videos, the cat has some furniture for a foot or two of head start. There is this video

which is closer to what we are looking for, at the very least there is no “scrambling”.

Naturally, it also depends on the door. I have one which is only 6’ 6" for some reason and some cat is always on top of it; there is furniture nearby though. I also get that exact same refrigerator jump as well as even smoother jumps onto shelves but the latter are a little shy of 6 feet, at least I can’t swear otherwise; in any case l will have to search for better videos!