Can American media ever be called anime?

Rwby is a series that is much like anime, but was made in the USA. Can it, or any other American or Western animation really be called anime? I have always been of the opinion that anime is a term only for Japanese animation.

Boffking, this is hardly a great debate. You make a habit of starting such threads in the wrong forum and I’ve mentioned it to you before.

I’m moving this to Cafe Society but this is official guidance: don’t start threads in Great Debates or Elections that don’t belong there. Continuing to do so may result in warnings or other sanctions.

Among people who are interested in anime, this is a great debate.

Nonetheless, you will follow my instructions.

Anime (in English) is a term for Japanese animation.* If it’s not from Japan, it’s not anime (though it could be anime-style).

*Who remembers when it was called Japanimation?

Grin! Old member of the Cartoon/Fantasy Association here! I remember our old meetings, daisy-chaining VCRs together so everybody could copy the latest tapes that someone had brought over or had mailed to them, fresh from Japan. Several of our members took Japanese language classes in college the better to understand the shows. This was when Captain Harlock was new and hot, and even before Lupin III.

(Some of us got a head-start on this with Kimba the White Lion. For many, that was our first exposure to Japanese style animation.)

I can think of plenty of Western series that copy the animation styles of Japanese animation. However, I can’t think of many that copy the themes and “anime-ness” of Japanese animation. I’m not expect though. Is there any anime-style Western animation aimed at adults?

Was Avatar the Last Airbender a western production? It certainly is very anime-esque.

It was American.

What’s the name of the fairly early anime where Earth was going to be invaded, but the alien General sent down his sexy green-haired daughter to fight Earth’s champion (nerd boy) who was bamboozled by the fact she could fly?

That was the first episode, and it spun out forever. Sexy green-haired daughter became nerd boy’s Magical Girl Friend.

(I’m fond of “Oh, My Goddess!” too. I guess I like Magical Girl Friends.)

Urusei Yatsura, translated into English as “Those Annoying Aliens.” Jolly good fun.

A Rumiko Takahashi offering, like Ranma 1/2 and Maison Ikkoku.

I’ll put that forward, then, as a possible proposed answer to the OP’s question. Avatar, the Last Airbender, was “American Anime.”

Kimba was a Johnny-come-lately in my childhood. I was a follower of Astro-Boy, Marine Boy, Gigantor, and Tobor the 008 Man before Kimba showed up on my screen.

(But to be candid, I watched them on account of those were what was on the TV. I didn’t have any appreciation for the anime style, and did not consider myself a fan.)

Anime has got two related main definitions:

-Animation produced in Japan.

-Style of animation and design prevalent in Japanese animation.

Which is not the same thing- You could argue, for instance, that The Last Airbender is anime.

Do you wish to include all other forms of animation? Eh. Who’s to stop you? You can give the word any meaning you want.

A lot of my students–only the girls, for some reason–in Korea and China draw in an anime-influenced style. As long as there are white rappers and jazz musicians, I can’t imagine why there aren’t American manga and anime artists.

Remember the African ceile singers in The Boys and Girl of County Clare? They were ceile. And The Commitments were soul. Stylistic lines don’t stop at national borders, or even at ethnic ones.

Thank you! I watched the pilot (does anime have “pilots?”) years ago, and a few extra episodes, then promptly forgot the damn title. I’ll check out more of it!

There are many distinctive styles of animation made in Japan, but all of it is called Anime. Similarly there are many styles of animation produced in America or elsewhere, and none of that is called Anime. Imitating a thing doesn’t make it that thing.

In Japan, anime is shorthand for animation. Dragonball Z is anime, but so is an experimental short shown at a film festival. Here in America, anime refers to animated TV series and movies from Japan with mainstream commercial appeal that fit within certain style and genre parameters. It’s the same thing with manga.

When someone in the US tells me they are fan of anime and manga, I assume they’re not talking about works like Sazae-san or Tonari no Yamada-kun, or OL Shinkaron, or Tensai Bakabon, or Crayon Shin-chan. Even those all those works were extremely popular, influentual, and long-running in Japan, they don’t appeal to western fans of the manga/anime style.

Also, there’s a lot more to making manga or anime than just drawing in the big-eyes/small-mouth style you see in all those “How to Draw Manga” guides you see at the bookstore. Go through Scott McCloud’s excellent Understanding Comics and the biggest differences between western and Japanese comics are things like pacing, panel breakdowns, and panel-to-panel transitions.

In animation,Both American and Japanese animators had to learn to deal with the challenges of producing animation for television on a limited budget, but developed different tools to do so. Look at an old-school anime show from the 60s or 70s with its use of speed lines, jump cuts, extreme close-ups, and so on.

One stylistic difference I’ve noticed is that anime will often pan across a large, detailed painting, but Western animation almost never pans.

Another ex C/FO member chiming in to ditto that “anime” is Japanese shorthand for “animation”. You can use it to refer to any animated film or TV show; Rocky & Bullwinkle or Fantasia can be anime if you like. Depending on the audience you’re speaking with, however, your reception may be mixed. This is one of those times when context is important.

There’s an assumption in the West that ‘all Japanese animation looks alike’, whether it’s Speed Racer or Macross or Akira, Tiger Mask or Sazae-San or Sailor Moon, all series that don’t look anything like each other. Assuming that all Japanese animation falls into samey-same lockstep is an error made by people that haven’t seen a lot of Japanese animation, or who try to ignore shows that don’t fit their stereotype. It’s a big tent, fellas, there’s room for Redline and for Ringing Bell.