[QUOTE=Patty O’Furniture]
So you are actually trying to renegotiate your work start and stop times by working through your lunch hour, am I reading you correctly? That is, if you say that you worked instead of taking lunch, you would be able to leave a half hour earlier than usual?
As for the ‘not necessary to rest’ thing, I think most stress experts would advise against plodding straight through an 8 hour task with no breaks. Attention spans are only so long before quality starts to suffer. maybe she just wants you to take a break and recharge so you can come back to your desk with a breath of fresh air.
[/QUOTE]
There’s a lot of relevant back story here that is long but in a nutshell: we used to be salaried, which I think was correct since we’re specialized professionals and in my case I supervise people and act independently… anyway during our “busy season” we would work really long hours (which was fine with me) and one employee started complaining and eventually called the labor department, and said she thought we shouldn’t be salaried, and that we should get overtime… so under this pressure our boss made us hourly employees, to cover her butt against any possible overtime lawsuits.
But she was bitter and mad about the whole thing so she instituted this overzealous policy about hours and time sheets and sign-in and out e-mails (essentially like punching a timecard). All of this was very burdensome and time-consuming to us and I really feel it was made overly-complicated as a kind of revenge against us.
All of us are educated professionals, many with law degrees, doing specialized political/government research. This is the first time I have ever been paid hourly since I have been out of college!
Also because of this situation, none of us got a raise this year. (In years past, we would get a raise every July)…
And then just last week, she tells us she is changing our leave policy so now we’re getting 7 fewer days of leave per year!!
And now she says we MUST take a 30-minute break each day?! Why???
I honestly believe she is doing this out of spite and as a way to squeeze more time out of us, because she knows people are going to be working during those 30 minutes anyway.
OK sorry about the tangent, but to answer your question Patty O, no I am not trying to renegotiate my start and finish times. Since this whole change to hourly went down in July, she made it very clear we’re not supposed to work one second over 8 hours. So I would work from 9 to 5 every day, and if I did take a lunch, I would work that much longer. So would everyone else. So why is she implementing this all of a sudden?