Can anyone give me advice on graduate programs in Geography?

I am going to finish my undergraduate education this spring and want to continue on to the Master’s level of study in Geography. My interests are in urban geography as well as mapping and GIS. Can anyone tell me what schools would be good in both those areas? It can be hard to tell from looking at various departments’ program information because they all make themselves out to be super.

I don’t feel like going into the specifics of what I have already looked at, etc., other than to ask if anyone knows anything about Geography at the University of Maryland. (I have a bit less info on it than some other places.) Besides that, I’m just sort of seeking opinions and such on who has good reputations, strong programs in my areas of interest given above, etc.

Hopefully there are a few Doper Geographers who can help me out… thanks* in advance!

• “for nothing” to be added here if no one can help :smiley:

Not a geographer myself, but I’d like to put in a plug for the geoenvironmental program at Shippensburg University in Pennsylvania. The department chair, Dr. John Benhart, Sr, is well-regarded within the field. I’ve met him and thought that he had that crazed look of brilliance in his eyes.

For what it’s worth, Ship is on the US News and World Report’s list of top colleges.

I thought about going to Eastern Carolina University for their geography program. I ended up not going to any master’s degree though. The place seemed like a nice little college town, and the couple of professors that I meet were really nice and talked with me all day. They seemed very willing to allow me do to my own thing, like do some Archaeology along with the GIS program. I have heard the UM program is hard to get into, and from what I hear not all that great.

I received my MA in geography at Appalachian State University. The program is excellent. Mostly because the professors are well connected and networked in the professional and academic geography world. The department also covers Urban Planning and I got an amazingly good internship through the main planning professor, Dr. Gary Cooper. And the Blue Ridge is a truly beautiful place to go to school. Just don’t expect much from the school library.

A link just for you:

http://www.geo.appstate.edu/

I don’t know nothin’ about nothin’ when it comes to geography, but it just so happens that the fella I’m dating is the son of a professor of Geography.

Here’s a link to New Mexico State U’s Geography department:

http://www.nmsu.edu/~geoweb/

I can’t speak to the quality of the program, but it’s another option for you to check out.