Can anyone reccomend a decent short video game I can play?

My computer is new, but is a laptop. It has run Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, and Elder Scrolls IV quite well, thought not at their top detail levels. I ran Bioshock as well and I think it was near the top details. It is a PC running Windows 7.

Anyway, I have beat the life out of Elder Scrolls IV(main quest, side-quests, and Shivering Isles and KOT9) and have a couple weeks of down-time before I get crazy busy. I don’t want to launch a big RPG that I won’t be able to finish in a couple weeks. I do have Dragon Ages: Origins sitting there, but will wait until another slow period to play it. I wasn’t into Bioshock enough to play its sequel.

So it basically rules out all time consuming RPG games.
What shooters are out there that you think might run on my computer? Or other fun games that are not super intensive and long? **

Side note: If Oblivion runs well at low-medium details, what shot do I have a Skyrim running?

Not interested in Diablo III, not matter how long or short it is. :slight_smile:

Play Amnesia: The Dark Descent. http://amnesiagame.com/ . It’s the very antithesis of a shooter - you’re unarmed and utterly helpless against the monsters in this game. In fact, even looking at the monsters is dangerous - you can panic, make noise, and thus doom yourself. But it’s the very, very best horror game I’ve ever played. Probably my favorite videogame, full stop.

There were moments in this game when I hit CTRL-ALT-DEL out of pure panic at seeing an empty corridor, and moments where I was genuinely, sincerely appalled at what I (as the player character) was doing. Very rare to have these sorts of reactions to a game.

Is Amnesia a shooter at all? If not, is it more of an adventure game? I’m curious. :slight_smile:

You can get through Borderlands pretty quick. Also, Portal.

Definitely Portal, if you haven’t played it yet. One of the best games of the past decade, and only three to four hours long in total.

It’s survival horror in it’s purest form.

I would recommend you play it with the lights off and a pair of decent headphones, but I really don’t want to be responsible for your untimely death.

Let’s see, you want short, action games, right. Nothing that’ll have you tracking a quest accross a continent…

I would recommend the Batman games. Arkham Asylum for starters. It’s got the right mix of action/adventure and RPG elements - character progression, exploration, etc (since you like those) combined with a more focused environment and a fairly linear story line. You can take your time with it if you want to, or finish it pretty quickly, but even if you take your time we’re talking 20-30 hours, not 50+. Combat is a lot of fun too, though it’s not a shooter.

Borderlands is a loot-driven shooter. It’s a big game, but the quests can be processed fairly quickly and so it can be a bite sized experience. I’m not sure if you need story and a single-player experience, but if not, any number of multi-player only shooters are available to pass the time with. From free to play games like Team Fortress 2, The new tribes, Black Light, to the ones you need to pay for like Left 4 Dead 2.

Portal isn’t really a shooter, but it’s played from a first person perspective and you shoot portals at things :slight_smile: You should be able to burn through it in under 5 hours, and regardless of taste, it’s probably going to be an enjoyable experience for you.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution was a smart third-person shooter with a lot of fun RPG elements. Plus, every single mission can be beaten by shooting all of the opponents in the face, or carefully (and nonlethally) sneaking around and neutralizing them.

It’s got gorgeous visuals, fun levels, and imaginative world-building, so I think it would be right up your alley. And, it should play fabulously on your computer!

Forgot to mention: you can beat it in 6-10 hours or so. Sneaking takes longer than blowing things up.

I would answer this for you…but I’m sorry I forget.

So… are you looking for…

A short RPG? Try Penny Arcade Adventures (Aka “On the Rain Slick Precipice of Darkness”)
An Action RPG? Try Ys: Oath in Felghana
A puzzle game with light RPG elements? Try Clash of Heroes

Darkness II takes maybe eight hours to play through if you’re taking your time but not sweating every achievement. I enjoyed it; the mechanics of the extra tendril/arms was fun and the art and voice acting was well done.

Homefront’s single player campaign is maybe six hours. About a third to half of that is vehicle-oriented missions which I really dislike in my FPS’s. Also, while the overarching world was interesting (occupied USA), the actual plot line was often inane and there was some facepalm inducing AI issues (like having my companions box me in and refuse to move). But it does meet the “short” criteria.

If your computer is having trouble with Oblivion, then there’s probably no chance that Skyrim will be playable at all.

Anyways, I’ll throw out my recommendation for Bastion. It’s sort of an action/RPG/adventure game. The gameplay is solid, and the narration and artwork are absolutely outstanding. You can finish it in ~5 hours, and all the levels are in nice bite-sized chunks. I think I picked it up on some sale, and I liked it so much that I bought it again in one of the Humble Indie Bundles, just so that I could send more money to the developers.

Portal, it should take around 6 hours to beat and it is one of the best games of the decade.

Plus, at the end, there is cake!

Bastion is always the top game I recommend for a good not-too-long game (maybe 8 hours or so). Short and sweet. Great story, narration, and combat.

I’ll third this - I don’t even really like most of the games of that type, but Bastion just oozes charm and its not too difficult if you don’t deliberately piss of the gods to make it harder. I’ll also second Borderlands - nice open-world shooter that can be played in short sessions.

Lots of good suggestions.

My suggestion would be Psychonauts. It’s fun, quirky, will run great on your laptop, and it’s cheap. You do shoot things but there’s so much more. You’re a camper at a summer camp for telekinetically gifted kids. But something sinister is lurking nearby…

Excellent suggestions already; I can’t recommend Portal and Bastion highly enough. For a complete change of mood, there’s Limbo, a wonderfully creepy, highly stylized puzzle/platformer. I found it very engaging and quick to play, if a bit disturbing.

I can’t think of any shooters that fit the bill; I don’t play them all that much, except for RPG/shooter hybrids, which tend to be relatively long (at least, the way I play them).

I played Portal and loved it(the sequel as well). I have Limbo, but am keeping it to play with my wife.

Bastion. I may try that. Sounds cool.

Magicka hasn’t been suggested yet - it’s a pretty awesome shooter/rpg (of sorts); it suffers from the fact that many of the later boss fights are impossible until you figure out the trick and then trivial afterwards, but still, big fun.