Can Democrats actually stop the nomination of Brett Kavanaugh?

I know that Republicans are desperately trying to avoid investigating the issue. I know that if an investigation would clear Kavanaugh those same Republicans would be desperately trying to force the investigation forward. I’m capable of putting 2 and 2 together. And in this case 2+2 = rapist.

She wasted those days trying to stay alive in the face of multiple right-wing death threats. She’s wasted them fleeing her house, going into hiding… I suspect she’s had other things on her mind. Like the way Republicans are trying to destroy her life just for speaking the truth.

I’m at least passingly familiar with his retractions. You asked me to “explain the impact Trump’s lawyer changing his story has on Trump’s credibility.” I wasn’t sure if you were talking about Manafort or Guiliani or something else, so I wrote “I’m not sure of the specifics of what you’re referring to here”. Next time try using a name, or a cite or something if you want me to understand the specific incident(s) you’re vaguely referring to. I’m not going to read your mind.

Ford’s story has apparently been told in part by Ford herself and in part by her attorney. The inconsistencies there reflect badly on Ford’s story. If there’s a comparable situation between Trump and his lawyer, then they reflect badly on whatever story they’re trying to jointly tell too. Is that clear enough for you?

Yeah, she should’ve been preparing for this her whole life! What a stupid bitch! Didn’t even submit a decent headshot.

I suspect that if you had multiple people trying to murder you and your family you’d be pretty concerned. But your lack of concern for her wellbeing is very brave of you.

You can’t possibly know this, and it’s insane to claim that you do. You can believe her, you can say that you think she’s credible, but when you try to claim with certainty that she is “speaking the truth”, you wander off into fantasyland.

Manafor (a) isn’t a lawyer, and (b) isn’t Trump’s lawyer, so I didn’t realize you’d need that spelled out. The person who *is *Trump’s lawyer is Giuliani. Who has been in the news recently for the multiple embarrassing retractions he’s had to make. Which was the topic.

I think the story they’re trying to jointly tell is: No Collusion! I guess now you think that story’s falling apart (which I agree with).

Do you have a cite for this?

Then Republicans are also in fantasyland, because it’s clear from their behaviors that they think she’s telling the truth too.

here is one from your favorite news source:

Brett Kavanaugh, wife and Christine Blasey Ford all receiving death threats: GRAPHIC LANGUAGE | Fox News

and yes we cannot tell for sure who is sending the threats to her but I would guess they are not liberals.

A cite that she’d like to stay alive or a cite that she’s received death threats?

My mistake, turns out he did practice law. Withdrawn.

You think the people that wrote this to Ashley Kavanaugh were “not liberals”???

A cite that she has been unable to meet with her attorneys at a third party location since Sunday and that she has been acting like Bruce Willis in Die Hard in an attempt to “stay alive” as you have been implying. I guarantee that the DNC would pay for Secret Service-style security.

I don’t think he referenced Ashley Kavanaugh in his post at all (his post was 30 words long, so I may have missed it).

In your defense, you said “is” a lawyer. I’m pretty certain he “was” a lawyer, but don’t know if he still is. There’s probably some disbarment procedure, but I don’t know how long it takes or if it’s been done yet.

In an earlier post Evil Economist said

You replied

To more simply state what I’m getting at (sorry for the confusion, I should have been clearer): You seem to imply there is no way to figure out what happened, since “Ford doesn’t know”, and I’m suggesting that another way to find out details is to interview others, under oath, who were said to have been there. I’m just asking if you think this is a reasonable idea.

yes it’s pretty much common sense I was talking about the people who were giving death threats to Ford.

What behavior makes that “clear”? That they invited her to testify?

We don’t know where Ford is staying–in a motel? With friends? But we do know that in addition to the trauma of being the subject of death threats and watching her character being assassinated all over social media (and other media, too), she has no access to materials that anyone facing a Senate grilling about their past would want to access. Presumably a lifetime of her correspondence, journals, yearbooks, agendas, photo-albums, and other items that could help her verify information she’d want to put in her statement, are not available where she’s hiding, now.

And the Senate Republicans are going to make a very big deal of any discrepancy in her statement. A misspelled name; a date that’s off by a day; a classmate whose married name she gets wrong—they will trumpet these loud and long. And she’s not in a position to be able to check all these things, because she’s not able to work in her own home.

I don’t see how you could guarantee anything for the DNC.

But yes, even with (temporary) protection, I suspect that the threat of murder by right wing extremists probably made it difficult to focus on other things.