Can Democrats actually stop the nomination of Brett Kavanaugh?

You volunteering to pay for it?

Oh, never mind, we’ve got your guarantee!

The others that have already said they don’t remember / never attended a gathering like that? I don’t think it’s likely to reveal additional details. If Ford / Kavanaugh / Judge / Smyth are willing to testify, then sure, they should be given a chance to speak. I’m a bit more circumspect about the idea of compelling testimony on this matter from private citizens who do not with to to give it.

She couldn’t send someone home to get those materials for her? Her lawyer can’t do that?

You do have a flair for the dramatic.

My prediction: Grassley will agree to move the hearing to later in the week (next week), but there will not be an FBI investigation beforehand. Ford will appear at the later date.

Kavanaugh gets to prep in the White House. Rough…

Are you proposing a wager? Oh, I’m game for that. Shall we say $500?

I think it’s really up to Collins / Murkowski / Flake. If they tell their colleagues “I’m a ‘no’ unless you give Ford another week to testify” it will get delayed. If they say they’re onboard with voting (and presumably “yes”) after Monday, then he probably won’t delay it.

I don’t. Not yet. Any man of his age could be similarly accused. Belay that - almost any adult man could be similarly accused. Come to think of it, so could any woman: “Yes, it was a decade ago. We were both at Jim’s party and she grabbed me by the balls and started kissing me.”

Kavanaugh is entitled to the presumption of his innocence. As yet no evidence has been presented. He has not been arrested. He has not been charged. He has not been convicted. Ergo he is - as yet - presumed innocent.

I think you and other Dopers think the accusation is credible because the accused is a Republican nominee. So far I have seen nothing to contradict that. We have her accusation and that is it.

For many hours over several days, apparently:

How smart would that be, if you’ve received death threats that make it clear the writer knows where your house is? Paying someone to be sure no one is watching your house would be pretty expensive, so how could anyone be sure the lawyer, on leaving the house, wouldn’t be followed by a nut with a gun? I guess you could have the lawyer drive like a daredevil to elude pursuers, but not all lawyers are going to be up for that. (Or capable of it.)

You are conflating the standard we use for a criminal conviction with the standard needed to approve a nominee’s appointment. Two different animals.

For me the real point here is that there is evidence that they were, both of them, Kavanaugh and Judge, at least occasional blackout drunks at this time. How do you deny something you don’t remember? You might feel morally superior but you don’t ever really know. That’s very republican, but we have two parties for now. These situations might be a very bad stick for those accused, but then again he was the one drinking himself into a stupor. I’m sure he knows the adages to use in this case, he might have dispensed them from the bench on occasion. Maybe they will be of some comfort to republicans in the future.

This needs to be said on page 44?! Oh yeah, “politics”

As I said earlier, all she has to do at this point is convince Jeff Flake. She doesn’t have to worry about what “the Republicans” will do. I don’t think Jeff Flake will do any of the things you are throwing up against the wall there to see if anything will stick.

Of course not. I watched a documentary the other night called “No Country for Old Men.” Her lawyer would surely get a cattle bolt to the head if the lawyer tried that. Much too risky.

I’m not sure preparing in the Trump white house is a positive. Might be better off with Larry , Moe, and Curly

I heard on one of the shows–and I can’t link because I don’t remember which one–that someone on the staff was actually tasked, this past week, with keeping Trump away. (Of course he was off on his trip to see the storm damage for part of the time, but not all of it.)

Given the opportunity to back up your claims, you could have chosen to back up your claims. That would’ve been a good thing to do, if your claims were solid.

Instead, you quibble over the letter “s”. That’s a good thing to do, if your claims are weak as shit, and you’re hoping to distract folks from that.

Nice try.

And if it turns out he’s wrong, you can keep the guarantee.

I’d be laughing if it wasn’t so overwhelmingly not a laughing matter.