Can Democrats actually stop the nomination of Brett Kavanaugh?

If you were interviewing someone for even an entry-level position, and they told you repeatedly how much they love beer, then started yelling and crying, would you be more likely to give them the job or call Security?

This Kavanaugh guy seems to lie a lot, for no good reason.

You lived in the Chapel Hill area at one point right? Did you meet Ford there?

Your friend believes 4chan stuff? I feel sorry for her.

No, I have never met Ford! I can see in retrospect how my original post would be a little confusing, since Ford also has a PhD, but what I was trying to say was simply that I knew someone who believes the 4chan theory, and that this person, amazingly, is a woman with a PhD in a field that usually requires grad students to be quite adept at text-based research and evaluating the credibility of sources. (And yes, I have lived in Chapel Hill and met my 4-chan-believing friend there.)

Forgive me if this has already been posted:

Trump commends Kavanaugh for admitting he had a drinking problem. There’s just one problem.

He lies a lot but is quite bad at it. I kind of feel like I’d respect him more if he was a skilled liar.

I’m sure there are a few other PhD level people who believe all kinds of wacky stuff like what is on 4chan. Getting a PhD does not mean you are immune from believing in nonsense.

Right?

While putting the New Yorker article together, they contacted every person they put in that dorm at that time. There are perfectly innocent ways for him to hear through the grapevine that that was happening.

It seemed like an obvious lie when he said it, and lo and behold it turns out to have been an obvious lie.

I wouldn’t even give him the job of “security”

Fuck false equivalences in the ass now and forever.

I surely welcome the day when Democrats decide to fight back. God, anyone remember the Democratic outrage when McFuckme refused to hold hearings on Obama’s nominee? I jest, remember the Sunday morning talk show finger waving? That’s all there was. I know this is a stretch, but just what if Democrats had a little fire in the belly then?

Before I forget…

There was once a time where if I were writing a story and there was a character I wanted the reader to instantly recognize as a pompous Ivy League douchebag, I would have named that character something like Chad Ludington. Now that time has passed because there’s an actual Chad Ludington who ruined it for me. What am I supposed to do now? Rely on a good writing? That sounds like a lot of work.

IF that were the case there would be 2 articles in Salon: about how they are turning off the moderates in the party, and also how they needed to do this for a long time. It happens every day.

I am starting to feel like we are living a script from reality tv that we keep wishing could resolve, and just keeps us hanging for some cosmic reason.

Ten days ago, Paul Krugman posted a tweet that’s stuck in my mind ever since:

I don’t know if the Federalist Society explicitly asked about each potential candidate they considered putting on their list, “is this a bad person?” But they might as well have done exactly that.

That’s what they required, in order to protect Trump (and thereby hold on to power against all possible incursions by those who’d try to assert that this is a nation of laws and not of men).

How about Kurt Barvenaugh?

Bart O’Kavanaugh. It worked for Mark Judge.

A pompous Ivy League douchebag should have a first name replete with strong manly consonants, and a surname with a few more, and should resonate with white-privilege Irish or Anglo-Saxon heritage. I suggest a name like Krett Bavanaugh.

Or anyone with the last name ‘Smyth’, maybe?
Or, funnily. ‘Judge’:wink:

Commenton a legal blog I occasionally read regarding the person who tried to go to the FBI with the incriminating texts:

Berchem is partner at Akin Gump. She says she has been trying to contact the F.B.I. to share her information with them, but has been unsuccessful. It’s worth noting that if an Akin Gump partner can’t get the F.B.I.’s attention, that means the F.B.I. doesn’t want to dig deeply into Ramirez’s claims. Biglaw partners know somebody who knows somebody who has worked for the USAO. You can get in contact with somebody at the F.B.I. unless they are actively ignoring you.

My vote, if it matters, is to keep this thread open. It’s my one-stop thread for this whole mess.