Can HIV be transmitted by insect stings?

Or, more accurately, why can’t it - I’ve never heard of that way of transmission as a risk, so I guess it does not exist.

After all, when an insect stings an HIV-positive human and sucks blood from him or her, there are traces of that blood remaining on the sting and in the body of the insect. Wouldn’t that infect other people stung by the same insect afterwards, or at least create a serious risk of infection? It works for malaria, and probably a number of other diseases and germs, so why not for HIV?

An earlier thread.

Let’s start here:

An insect “sting” is a pointy thing on its butt. It pokes you (and maybe injects venom) but is not associated with feeding and thus, does not withdraw blood.

An insect mouth is, as you might suspect, on its head and not on its butt. Mouthparts are involved in drawing up your blood so the insect can feed.
I recall reading a precise description of why mosquitos can transmit malaria but not HIV, but don’t have all the details at the ready. I believe it had something to do with the fact that the mosquito actually contracts malaria itself, but cannot become infected with HIV. Someone will be along shortly with better research, I’m sure.