Can I bring my camera into Japan with no Hassle?

Going from Canada to Japan. Can i bring my camera in or is there any red tape involved?

thanks!

I can’t imagine any reason it would be a hassle.

You should not have any problems bringing your camera in. What kind of red tape were you imagining?

Careful, the Japanese hate cameras you know. :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously I can’t imagine it being an issue. The only problem you may face is if Canadian customs tries to charge you import duty if they think you bought a camera in Japan but I think this is pretty slim and easy to document just in case. I faced this when I came back from overseas in the navy with equipment I had purchased but the customs guy let me slide. Last summer I came from Germany with a camera bag chock full of equipment but US Customs didn’t even bother to look at it.

There’s no problem taking cameras into Japan. As Padeye says, there’s a slim chance you might run into problems bringing it back if it’s shiny and new. However, you can register any items you’re concerned about with Customs before you go. There should be a Canada Border Service Agency office at the airport that will allow you to do that, although I can’t say for sure that there’ll be one wherever you are in Newfoundland.

Out of sheer curiosity, is there a chance that someone in security would require the owner to do something to it (take a picture?) to prove that it isn’t rigged up to use as a bomb??

I know that I’ve heard of people being asked to boot up laptops or turn on PDAs for that kind of reason… when I flew to england in '94 I was asked to power up my pocket calculator by the nice man. :] Not sure if or how that applies to cameras.

That’s no Hassel-blad!

I’ve had this done to me when shooting certain sporting events, so I think it’s possible airport security might do this do, although I’ve never been asked to prove my camera is functional when travelling.

When you enter Narita from the train station, you have to go through security before you even get into the airport proper. I was once asked to turn on my Canon camera there; most times the inspection seems far more cursory, though.

The Frankfurt airport swabbed my camera, a DSLR, to check for bomb residue. I’m sure it already occured to someone that a bomb could be placed in a working camera, laptop, what have you so turning it on doesn’t prove anything.