Can I buy a large cheese wheel without paying a fortune?

Alibaba

You can go cheaper if you think that white cheese is ‘cheese’, and more expensive if you think $100/ton cheese is not worth buying at any price…

Wholesale only. Largest wheel is 4,500 pounds.

Behold the power of cheese!

@Duckster Hennings makes a decent cheese. Go for it. 40 lb wheel, or get 4 wheels and make a cheese car.

They seem to be going out of their way to not tell you beforehand what their wheels cost. Their smaller orders are the typical ~$5.00 lb.

Contact them for current market price, just like lobsters!

I think that $100/ton price is referring to their shipping cost. Not the cheese itself.

Update to the Big Cheese saga: my plans were predicated on the hope that my basement stayed cool enough in the summer to store cheese unrefrigerated. This is practical up to about 60°F. But after a week-long heat wave with outside temperatures in the high 90’s, my basement warmed up to 75°F. So alas it was all for naught.

So a wheel of cheese is gone for lack of climate control?!?

heres some on amazon prices go from low to high i think cheese prices are lower due to covid resturant lockdown and suc … and id love a climate controlled cheese cave ,

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=cheese+wheel&s=price-desc-rank&qid=1623547951&ref=sr_st_price-desc-rank

I was wondering if I could store cheese unrefrigerated in my basement as a backup shtf food supply. But since I can’t without refrigerating it, there’s no point.

Weird that your basement got that warm. I remember the basement in my parents’ house was usually quite cool even in the worst heat waves. Is your basement above ground?

The basement has ground-level windows and the first floor is about three feet off ground level.