Can I copy songs from a CD to a DVD disc...

without doing anything nerdish? :cool:

Define “nerdish”.

Assuming that you have a program that rips your cds - windows media player for example - and another that allows you to create data disks, and know how to do both, this is what you do:

1. insert cd into drive, rip songs you’d like to put on a DVD. Personally I’d put them all one folder, but you can do whatever you like.
  2. insert blank DVD into drive. Start program of your choice to create a data disc. When it asks you to chose what you’re to put on the disc, pick those songs you ripped in step one.

If you need more help, let us know which programs you’re using so we can be more specific.

If you’re planning to then play the songs through your DVD player (one hooked to your TV rather than part of your computer) it’s worth noting that some DVD players don’t like things to be in folders so you need to open the folder and select all the songs rather than just add the folders. My old DVD player didn’t care, but my DVD recorder won’t read some things in folders.

I don’t think that ANY of my DVD players would play MP3 music on a DVD data disk. They’ll play MP3-cds, or a DVD-audio format that none of my burning programs support, but not MP3s on a DVD, even if they’re all in the root folder.

sigh

You’ll have toi use an mp3 format, because the music cd format is not doable on a DVD. I have played mp3 from a DVD disk on a compatable DVD player.

It might help if you explained what your aim was. i.e. why do you want to copy songs from CD to DVD? What do you intend to do with them?

I was having trouble with recording to my blank CDs. So I thought I’d try using blank DVDs, instead. However, quick as a slo-mo wink, I found that this cannot be done (by me).

I then miraculously corrected my CD problem (by, uh, following the friggin’ directions).

Sorry to have bothered you Thudlow Boink. It’s fun to say your name. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
And my apologies to all you others whose names aren’t as funny, but even so, tried to help.

Try this. Say Thudlow Boink out loud. If you don’t laugh, you are demised.

I’m glad I could amuse you even if I couldn’t help you. :slight_smile:

It sounds like what you wanted to do was to burn what was to all intents and purposes a CD, that would play in a regular CD player, only using blank DVD media rather than blank CD-R’s. Which, now that I think about it, is an interesting question. I don’t think it can be done, but I don’t know for sure.

If you wanted to save the songs as data files (i.e. in mp3 format or something like that), you could certainly do that on a blank DVD just as easily as on a blank CD, assuming you have a DVD burner. In fact, you can fit a lot more of them on a DVD than on a CD. But the resulting disc could only be read/played by a computer with a DVD drive, or by some (not all) DVD players.

Incidentally, you can put 44.1 K 16-bit stereo .wav files on a DVD data disc, and play them back on your computer. I know this works. As for whether it would work in a DVD player in the living room, sorry, I got nothin’.

DVDs can’t be used in place of CDs, because the groove pitch is much, much smaller, and CD reading drives will not read a DVD, nor write on it. They’ve compacted the number of pits in a concentric circle so that 4.7 gigs fits on one kind of disc in the same space as 700 MB on another kind.